Comparison of IPSM 1990 photon dosimetry code of practice with IAEA TRS-398 and AAPM TG-51.
AffiliationNW Medical Physics, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeveral codes of practice for photon dosimetry are currently used around the world, supported by different organizations. A comparison of IPSM 1990 with both IAEA TRS-398 and AAPM TG-51 has been performed. All three protocols are based on the calibration of ionization chambers in terms of standards of absorbed dose to water, as it is the case with other modern codes of practice. This comparison has been carried out for photon beams of nominal energies: 4 MV, 6 MV, 8 MV, 10 MV and 18 MV. An NE 2571 graphite ionization chamber was used in this study, cross-calibrated against an NE 2611A Secondary Standard, calibrated in the National Physical Laboratory (NPL). Absolute dose in reference conditions was obtained using each of these three protocols including: beam quality indices, beam quality conversion factors both theoretical and NPL experimental ones, correction factors for influence quantities and absolute dose measurements. Each protocol recommendations have been strictly followed. Uncertainties have been obtained according to the ISO Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement. Absorbed dose obtained according to all three protocols agree within experimental uncertainty. The largest difference between absolute dose results for two protocols is obtained for the highest energy: 0.7% between IPSM 1990 and IAEA TRS-398 using theoretical beam quality conversion factors.
CitationComparison of IPSM 1990 photon dosimetry code of practice with IAEA TRS-398 and AAPM TG-51. 2009, 10 (1):2810 J Appl Clin Med Phys
JournalJournal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics
- Comparison of the IAEA TRS-398 and AAPM TG-51 absorbed dose to water protocols in the dosimetry of high-energy photon and electron beams.
- Authors: Huq MS, Andreo P, Song H
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Comparison of AAPM Addendum to TG-51, IAEA TRS-398, and JSMP 12: Calibration of photon beams in water.
- Authors: Kinoshita N, Oguchi H, Nishimoto Y, Adachi T, Shioura H, Kimura H, Doi K
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Protocols for the dosimetry of high-energy photon and electron beams: a comparison of the IAEA TRS-398 and previous international codes of practice. International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Authors: Andreo P, Huq MS, Westermark M, Song H, Tilikidis A, DeWerd L, Shortt K
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 7
- A dosimetry study comparing NCS report-5, IAEA TRS-381, AAPM TG-51 and IAEA TRS-398 in three clinical electron beam energies.
- Authors: Palmans H, Nafaa L, de Patoul N, Denis JM, Tomsej M, Vynckier S
- Issue date: 2003 May 7
- Reference dosimetry in clinical high-energy electron beams: comparison of the AAPM TG-51 and AAPM TG-21 dosimetry protocols.
- Authors: Saiful Huq M, Song H, Andreo P, Houser CJ
- Issue date: 2001 Oct