Measurement tools for gastrointestinal symptoms in radiation oncology.
AffiliationAcademic Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Manchester, UK. Catharine.West@manchester.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE OF REVIEW: To review the use of measurement tools for reporting gastrointestinal toxicity in radiation oncology to highlight recent findings of potential interest to those involved in the treatment of tumors in the pelvis, assessment of survivorship issues or management of bowel effects. RECENT FINDINGS: Multiple measurement tools are being used in radiation oncology studies involving both clinician and patient-reported outcomes. The increasing availability of accurate data on radiation doses and dose-volumes to normal tissues is enabling identification of critical areas where dose should be reduced to minimize organ damage. SUMMARY: Measurement tools for gastrointestinal symptoms are important to highlight therapeutic benefit for the expanding investigations of treatment intensification approaches and methods for toxicity reduction. The increasing use of the CTCAEv3 scales is a step forward, but further research is required to refine the system and improve its ease of use within routine clinical practice.
CitationMeasurement tools for gastrointestinal symptoms in radiation oncology. 2009, 3 (1):36-40 Curr Opin Support Palliat Care
JournalCurrent Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care
- Radiation damage to the gastrointestinal tract: mechanisms, diagnosis, and management.
- Authors: Hauer-Jensen M, Wang J, Boerma M, Fu Q, Denham JW
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Detailing of gastrointestinal symptoms in cancer patients with advanced disease: new methodologies, new insights, and a proposed approach.
- Authors: Abernethy AP, Wheeler JL, Zafar SY
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Late-onset bowel dysfunction after pelvic radiotherapy: a national survey of current practice and opinions of clinical oncologists.
- Authors: Henson CC, Andreyev HJ, Symonds RP, Peel D, Swindell R, Davidson SE
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Biomarkers of normal tissue toxicity after pelvic radiotherapy.
- Authors: Henson CC, Ang YS
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Adverse event reporting and developments in radiation biology after normal tissue injury: International Atomic Energy Agency consultation.
- Authors: Chen Y, Trotti A, Coleman CN, Machtay M, Mirimanoff RO, Hay J, O'brien PC, El-Gueddari B, Salvajoli JV, Jeremic B
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 1