AffiliationCentre R Gauducheau, St Herblain, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract5-Fluorouracil (5-FU) has been the most widely used chemotherapeutic agent for metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) and 5-FU combination therapy improves efficacy compared with monotherapy. The oral fluoropyrimidine UFT (tegafur-uracil) with leucovorin (LV) improves tolerability and has replaced 5-FU in many regimens. The efficacy and tolerability of UFT with LV in the first-line treatment of mCRC has been demonstrated in a number of phase II studies. In two phase III studies, UFT with LV has been shown to have comparable efficacy and improved tolerability versus intravenous bolus 5-FU, with very few cases of hand-foot syndrome (HFS). Indirect comparisons of UFT and capecitabine suggest that they are comparable in terms of survival. In first-line treatment, UFT in combination with oxaliplatin (TEGAFOX) or irinotecan (TEGAFIRI) is effective and well tolerated, with similar efficacy and tolerability to the corresponding 5-FU- and capecitabine-based combinations, but with a lower incidence of HFS. Alternating cycles of TEGAFOX and TEGAFIRI are effective and well tolerated, and the combination of TEGAFIRI and the targeted monoclonal antibody cetuximab has shown promising activity, similar to that of FOLFIRI plus cetuximab. UFT can be considered a rational replacement for intravenous 5-FU in the first- and second-line treatment of patients with mCRC.
CitationThe role of UFT in metastatic colorectal cancer. 2009, 76 (5):301-10 Oncology
- UFT and leucovorin: a review of its clinical development and therapeutic potential in the oral treatment of cancer.
- Authors: Hoff PM, Pazdur R, Benner SE, Canetta R
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- Retrospectively comparative evaluation of the first- and second-line chemotherapy with campto and oxaliplatin combined with oral tegafur/uracil (UFT)/leucovorin (LV) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Hsiao SC, Lin JF, Chuang MT, Lee YA, Wu DL
- Issue date: 2009 Oct-Dec
- New systemic frontline treatment for metastatic colorectal carcinoma.
- Authors: Braun AH, Achterrath W, Wilke H, Vanhoefer U, Harstrick A, Preusser P
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 15
- Uracil/ftorafur/leucovorin combined with irinotecan (TEGAFIRI) or oxaliplatin (TEGAFOX) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer patients: results of randomised phase II study.
- Authors: Bajetta E, Di Bartolomeo M, Buzzoni R, Mariani L, Zilembo N, Ferrario E, Lo Vullo S, Aitini E, Isa L, Barone C, Jacobelli S, Recaldin E, Pinotti G, Iop A
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 12
- Oral uracil and tegafur plus leucovorin compared with intravenous fluorouracil and leucovorin in stage II and III carcinoma of the colon: results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocol C-06.
- Authors: Lembersky BC, Wieand HS, Petrelli NJ, O'Connell MJ, Colangelo LH, Smith RE, Seay TE, Giguere JK, Marshall ME, Jacobs AD, Colman LK, Soran A, Yothers G, Wolmark N
- Issue date: 2006 May 1