Vandetanib versus gefitinib in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: results from a two-part, double-blind, randomized phase ii study.
AuthorsNatale, Ronald B
Sleckman, Bethany G
Rizvi, Naiyer A
Eberhardt, Wilfried E E
Stockman, Paul K
Kennedy, Sarah J
Ranson, Malcolm R
AffiliationCedars-Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA. Ronald.Natale@cshs.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Vandetanib is a once-daily oral inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor (VEGFR) and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling. In this two-part phase II study, the efficacy and safety of vandetanib was compared with that of gefitinib, an inhibitor of EGFR signaling. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients (N = 168) with locally advanced or metastatic (stage IIIB/IV) non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC), after failure of first-line with or without second-line platinum-based chemotherapy, received once-daily vandetanib 300 mg (n = 83) or gefitinib 250 mg (n = 85) until disease progression or evidence of toxicity (part A). After a 4-week washout period, eligible patients had the option to switch to the alternative treatment (part B). Progression-free survival (PFS) was the primary efficacy assessment in part A, which was designed to have a higher than 75% power to detect a 33% prolongation of PFS at a one-sided significance level of .2. RESULTS: In part A, vandetanib prolonged PFS compared with gefitinib (hazard ratio = 0.69; 95% CI, 0.50 to 0.96; one-sided P = .013). Patients receiving vandetanib experienced adverse events that were manageable and generally consistent with inhibition of EGFR and VEGFR signaling, including diarrhea, rash, and hypertension. There were no unexpected safety findings with gefitinib. Overall survival, a secondary assessment, was not significantly different between patients initially randomly assigned to either vandetanib or gefitinib. CONCLUSION: The primary efficacy objective was achieved, with vandetanib demonstrating a significant prolongation of PFS versus gefitinib. Vandetanib 300 mg/d is currently being evaluated as a monotherapy in two randomized phase III studies in advanced NSCLC.
CitationVandetanib versus gefitinib in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: results from a two-part, double-blind, randomized phase ii study. 2009, 27 (15):2523-9 J. Clin. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Vandetanib Versus placebo in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer after prior therapy with an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor: a randomized, double-blind phase III trial (ZEPHYR).
- Authors: Lee JS, Hirsh V, Park K, Qin S, Blajman CR, Perng RP, Chen YM, Emerson L, Langmuir P, Manegold C
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- Randomized, placebo-controlled phase II study of vandetanib plus docetaxel in previously treated non small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Heymach JV, Johnson BE, Prager D, Csada E, Roubec J, Pesek M, Spásová I, Belani CP, Bodrogi I, Gadgeel S, Kennedy SJ, Hou J, Herbst RS
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 20
- Gefitinib plus chemotherapy versus placebo plus chemotherapy in EGFR-mutation-positive non-small-cell lung cancer after progression on first-line gefitinib (IMPRESS): a phase 3 randomised trial.
- Authors: Soria JC, Wu YL, Nakagawa K, Kim SW, Yang JJ, Ahn MJ, Wang J, Yang JC, Lu Y, Atagi S, Ponce S, Lee DH, Liu Y, Yoh K, Zhou JY, Shi X, Webster A, Jiang H, Mok TS
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Phase III trial of vandetanib compared with erlotinib in patients with previously treated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Natale RB, Thongprasert S, Greco FA, Thomas M, Tsai CM, Sunpaweravong P, Ferry D, Mulatero C, Whorf R, Thompson J, Barlesi F, Langmuir P, Gogov S, Rowbottom JA, Goss GD
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 10
- Vandetanib plus pemetrexed for the second-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomized, double-blind phase III trial.
- Authors: de Boer RH, Arrieta Ó, Yang CH, Gottfried M, Chan V, Raats J, de Marinis F, Abratt RP, Wolf J, Blackhall FH, Langmuir P, Milenkova T, Read J, Vansteenkiste JF
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 10