Testicular seminoma with mediastinal lymphadenopathy -- a diagnostic pitfall.
AffiliationDepartments of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRelapse following adjuvant paraaortic radiation therapy in patients with Stage I seminoma is rare, occurring in approximately 4% of men. The majority of relapses are sited in the pelvis but relapse in the mediastinum is also recognised. As such, radiological imaging using chest radiographs remains commonplace in follow-up. However, there are reports of the association of testicular cancers with sarcoidosis and sarcoid-like processes in the mediastinum, emphasising the importance of making histological diagnosis prior to commencement of any treatment. We report on two men treated for testicular seminoma who on follow-up developed mediastinal lymphadenopathy, which was initially assumed to be metastatic seminoma. Both patients underwent mediastinascopy and biopsy prior to commencement of anti-cancer therapy. In both cases, the biopsies showed sarcoidosis, and unnecessary anti-cancer treatment was avoided.
CitationTesticular seminoma with mediastinal lymphadenopathy -- a diagnostic pitfall. 2009, 82 (977):e85-6 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- [Mediastinal sarcoidal reaction in follow up for seminoma].
- Authors: Jankilevich G, Mendizabal J, Massa MA, Pedernera A, Galmes M, Spizzamiglio N
- Issue date: 2006
- Coincidence of seminoma and sarcoidosis: a myth or fact?
- Authors: Tjan-Heijnen VC, Vlasveld LT, Pernet FP, Pauwels P, De Mulder PH
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Intrathoracic lymphadenopathy: sarcoidosis or metastatic seminoma? The diagnostic dilemma revisited.
- Authors: Trikudanathan G, Philip A, Hegde UP
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Sarcoid-like lymphadenopathy mimicking metastatic testicular cancer.
- Authors: Kok TC, Haasjes JG, Splinter TA, ten Kate FJ
- Issue date: 1991 Oct 15
- Chest computed tomography and mediastinoscopy in the diagnosis of sarcoidosis-associated uveitis.
- Authors: Kosmorsky GS, Meisler DM, Rice TW, Meziane MA, Lowder CY
- Issue date: 1998 Jul