Endoglin expression in blood and endothelium is differentially regulated by modular assembly of the Ets/Gata hemangioblast code.
AuthorsPimanda, John E
Chan, Wan Y I
Wilson, Nicola K
Smith, Aileen M
Janes, Mary E
Follows, George A
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEndoglin is an accessory receptor for TGF-beta signaling and is required for normal hemangioblast, early hematopoietic, and vascular development. We have previously shown that an upstream enhancer, Eng -8, together with the promoter region, mediates robust endothelial expression yet is inactive in blood. To identify hematopoietic regulatory elements, we used array-based methods to determine chromatin accessibility across the entire locus. Subsequent transgenic analysis of candidate elements showed that an endothelial enhancer at Eng +9 when combined with an element at Eng +7 functions as a strong hemato-endothelial enhancer. Chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP)-chip analysis demonstrated specific binding of Ets factors to the promoter as well as to the -8, +7+9 enhancers in both blood and endothelial cells. By contrast Pu.1, an Ets factor specific to the blood lineage, and Gata2 binding was only detected in blood. Gata2 was bound only at +7 and GATA motifs were required for hematopoietic activity. This modular assembly of regulators gives blood and endothelial cells the regulatory freedom to independently fine-tune gene expression and emphasizes the role of regulatory divergence in driving functional divergence.
CitationEndoglin expression in blood and endothelium is differentially regulated by modular assembly of the Ets/Gata hemangioblast code. 2008, 112 (12):4512-22 Blood
- Expression of the leukemia oncogene Lmo2 is controlled by an array of tissue-specific elements dispersed over 100 kb and bound by Tal1/Lmo2, Ets, and Gata factors.
- Authors: Landry JR, Bonadies N, Kinston S, Knezevic K, Wilson NK, Oram SH, Janes M, Piltz S, Hammett M, Carter J, Hamilton T, Donaldson IJ, Lacaud G, Frampton J, Follows G, Kouskoff V, Göttgens B
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 4
- Modulation of TGF-β signaling by endoglin in murine hemangioblast development and primitive hematopoiesis.
- Authors: Zhang L, Magli A, Catanese J, Xu Z, Kyba M, Perlingeiro RC
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 7
- Etv2/ER71 induces vascular mesoderm from Flk1+PDGFRα+ primitive mesoderm.
- Authors: Kataoka H, Hayashi M, Nakagawa R, Tanaka Y, Izumi N, Nishikawa S, Jakt ML, Tarui H, Nishikawa S
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 22
- Transcriptional link between blood and bone: the stem cell leukemia gene and its +19 stem cell enhancer are active in bone cells.
- Authors: Pimanda JE, Silberstein L, Dominici M, Dekel B, Bowen M, Oldham S, Kallianpur A, Brandt SJ, Tannahill D, Göttgens B, Green AR
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Runx1-mediated hematopoietic stem-cell emergence is controlled by a Gata/Ets/SCL-regulated enhancer.
- Authors: Nottingham WT, Jarratt A, Burgess M, Speck CL, Cheng JF, Prabhakar S, Rubin EM, Li PS, Sloane-Stanley J, Kong-A-San J, de Bruijn MF
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 15