Reciprocal relationship between expression of hypoxia inducible factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) and the pro-apoptotic protein bid in ex vivo colorectal cancer.
AuthorsSeenath, M M
Roberts, Darren L
Saunders, Mark P
O'Dwyer, Sarah T
Stratford, Ian J
Renehan, Andrew G
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology, Paterson Institute of Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHypoxia inducible factor 1 (HIF-1) represses the transcription of pro-apoptotic bid in colorectal cancer cells in vitro. To assess the clinical relevance of this observation, HIF-1alpha and Bid were assessed in serial sections of 39 human colorectal adenocarcinomas by immunohistochemistry. In high HIF-1alpha nuclear-positive cell subpopulations, there was a significant reduction in Bid expression (ANOVA, P=0.04). Given the role of Bid in drug-induced apoptosis, these data add impetus to strategies targeting HIF-1 for therapeutic gain.
CitationReciprocal relationship between expression of hypoxia inducible factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) and the pro-apoptotic protein bid in ex vivo colorectal cancer. 2008, 99 (3):459-63 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha modulates the down-regulation of the homeodomain protein CDX2 in colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Zheng J, Sun X, Wang W, Lu S
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- [Expression and pathobiological implication of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha in human colorectal carcinoma].
- Authors: Fan LF, Diao LM, Jiang CQ, Tang ZJ, Xia D, Liu MQ, Liu ZS, Ai ZL
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Expression levels and significance of hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha and vascular endothelial growth factor in human colorectal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Jiang CQ, Fan LF, Liu ZS, Qian Q, Xia D, Diao LM, He YM, Ai ZL
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- [Relationship of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF-1alpha) gene expression with vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and microvessel density (MVD) in human colorectal adenoma and adenocarcinoma].
- Authors: Jiang CQ, Liu ZS, Qian Q, He YM, Yuan YF, Ai ZL
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha expression increases during colorectal carcinogenesis and tumor progression.
- Authors: Simiantonaki N, Taxeidis M, Jayasinghe C, Kurzik-Dumke U, Kirkpatrick CJ
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 4