Consensus conference: implementing treatment recommendations on yttrium-90 immunotherapy in clinical practice - report of a European workshop.
AuthorsZinzani, Pier Luigi
Brammer, Caroline V
Codina, José Gómez
Illidge, Timothy M
Van Hoof, Achiel
AffiliationInstitute of Hematology and Oncology Seràgnoli, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiolabelled immunotherapy is a significant step forward in the treatment of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), with preliminary data suggesting long remissions in some patients. 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan is the only therapy approved for use after rituximab failure and is currently indicated in the EU for the treatment of adults with rituximab-relapsed or refractory CD20-positive follicular B-cell NHL. However, retrospective analyses confirm better responses when 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan is used earlier in the disease course. An expert panel of oncologists, haematologists and nuclear medicine physicians met at an European workshop to discuss proposed therapeutic algorithms for follicular lymphoma and the preliminary medical evidence supporting the incorporation of 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan as an early therapeutic option. Phase II data indicate that 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan either alone as primary therapy or as consolidation therapy following induction chemotherapy with or without rituximab achieves high response rates in follicular lymphoma, with complete remission rates of 62-80%. Phase III data are warranted, but based on preliminary observations the expert panel recommended incorporation of radiolabelled immunotherapy into national lymphoma treatment algorithms across Europe. This approach would maximise the therapeutic potential of this agent by encouraging its use early in the disease course of follicular lymphomas.
CitationConsensus conference: implementing treatment recommendations on yttrium-90 immunotherapy in clinical practice - report of a European workshop. 2008, 44 (3):366-73 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Yttrium 90-labeled ibritumomab tiuxetan radioimmunotherapy produces high response rates and durable remissions in patients with previously treated B-cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Gordon LI, Witzig T, Molina A, Czuczman M, Emmanouilides C, Joyce R, Vo K, Theuer C, Pohlman B, Bartlett N, Wiseman G, Darif M, White C
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Randomized controlled trial of yttrium-90-labeled ibritumomab tiuxetan radioimmunotherapy versus rituximab immunotherapy for patients with relapsed or refractory low-grade, follicular, or transformed B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Witzig TE, Gordon LI, Cabanillas F, Czuczman MS, Emmanouilides C, Joyce R, Pohlman BL, Bartlett NL, Wiseman GA, Padre N, Grillo-López AJ, Multani P, White CA
- Issue date: 2002 May 15
- Use of 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Marcus R
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Phase III trial of consolidation therapy with yttrium-90-ibritumomab tiuxetan compared with no additional therapy after first remission in advanced follicular lymphoma.
- Authors: Morschhauser F, Radford J, Van Hoof A, Vitolo U, Soubeyran P, Tilly H, Huijgens PC, Kolstad A, d'Amore F, Gonzalez Diaz M, Petrini M, Sebban C, Zinzani PL, van Oers MH, van Putten W, Bischof-Delaloye A, Rohatiner A, Salles G, Kuhlmann J, Hagenbeek A
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 10
- Radioimmunotherapy for patients with relapsed B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Authors: Witzig TE
- Issue date: 2001 Aug