No relationship between 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and expression of Glut-1 and -3 and hexokinase I and II in high-grade glioma.
Du Plessis, D
West, Catharine M L
Brock, Cathryn S
Matthews, Julian C
Price, Patricia M
AffiliationWolfson Molecular Imaging Centre, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to compare glucose metabolism, measured using 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography ([18F]FDG-PET), with the expression of Glut-1 and -3 and hexokinase I (Hex I) and II in high-grade glioma. The retrospective study involved 27 patients with WHO classification grade III and IV glioma, with either newly diagnosed or recurrent tumours. Patients underwent dynamic and static [18F]FDG-PET to glucose metabolic rate (MRGlu) and standardised uptake value (SUV), respectively. Tumour biopsies were obtained and stained using immunohistochemistry for the expression of Glut-1, -3, Hex I and II. Relationships between variables were studied using Spearman's rank correlation test. Results showed that the expression of Glut-1, Glut-3, Hex I and Hex II varied between and within the tumour samples. The mean of MRGlu was 0.2 (range 0.09-0.25) micromol/min/ml and that of SUV was 4.2 (range 3.2-5.2). There were no significant relationships among the tumour expression of any of the proteins studied with either MRGlu or SUV (p>0.21 for all). In conclusion, the lack of relationship between the immunohistochemical expression of Glut-1, -3, Hex I or II and glucose metabolism measured using [18F]FDG-PET in patients with high-grade glioma may be due to the tissue heterogeneity and presence of necrosis in high-grade tumours.
CitationNo relationship between 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and expression of Glut-1 and -3 and hexokinase I and II in high-grade glioma. 2008, 20 (3):537-42 Oncol. Rep.
- Relationship between FDG uptake and expressions of glucose transporter type 1, type 3, and hexokinase-II in Reed-Sternberg cells of Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Authors: Shim HK, Lee WW, Park SY, Kim H, Kim SE
- Issue date: 2009
- Expression of Glut-1 in primary and recurrent head and neck squamous cell carcinomas, and compared with 2-[18F]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose accumulation in positron emission tomography.
- Authors: Li SJ, Guo W, Ren GX, Huang G, Chen T, Song SL
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- ¹⁸FDG PET for grading malignancy in thymic epithelial tumors: significant differences in ¹⁸FDG uptake and expression of glucose transporter-1 and hexokinase II between low and high-risk tumors: preliminary study.
- Authors: Nakajo M, Kajiya Y, Tani A, Yoneda S, Shirahama H, Higashi M, Nakajo M
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Comparison of [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose uptake with glucose transporter-1 expression and proliferation rate in human glioma and non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Chung JK, Lee YJ, Kim SK, Jeong JM, Lee DS, Lee MC
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Glut-1 expression and enhanced glucose metabolism are associated with tumour grade in bone and soft tissue sarcomas: a prospective evaluation by [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography.
- Authors: Tateishi U, Yamaguchi U, Seki K, Terauchi T, Arai Y, Hasegawa T
- Issue date: 2006 Jun