The role of PET in target localization for radiotherapy treatment planning.
AffiliationAcademic Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Cancer Studies, The University of Manchester, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPositron emission tomography (PET) is currently accepted as an important tool in oncology, mostly for diagnosis, staging and restaging purposes. It provides a new type of information in radiotherapy, functional rather than anatomical. PET imaging can also be used for target volume definition in radiotherapy treatment planning. The need for very precise target volume delineation has arisen with the increasing use of sophisticated three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy techniques and intensity modulated radiation therapy. It is expected that better delineation of the target volume may lead to a significant reduction in the irradiated volume, thus lowering the risk of treatment complications (smaller safety margins). Better tumour visualisation also allows a higher dose of radiation to be applied to the tumour, which may lead to better tumour control. The aim of this article is to review the possible use of PET imaging in the radiotherapy of various cancers. We focus mainly on non-small cell lung cancer, lymphoma and oesophageal cancer, but also include current opinion on the use of PET-based planning in other tumours including brain, uterine cervix, rectum and prostate.
CitationThe role of PET in target localization for radiotherapy treatment planning. 2008, 31 (1-2):57-62 Onkologie
- IMRT and 3D conformal radiotherapy with or without elective nodal irradiation in locally advanced NSCLC: A direct comparison of PET-based treatment planning.
- Authors: Fleckenstein J, Kremp K, Kremp S, Palm J, Rübe C
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Role of computed tomography and [18F] fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography image fusion in conformal radiotherapy of non-small cell lung cancer: a comparison with standard techniques with and without elective nodal irradiation.
- Authors: Ceresoli GL, Cattaneo GM, Castellone P, Rizzos G, Landoni C, Gregorc V, Calandrino R, Villa E, Messa C, Santoro A, Fazio F
- Issue date: 2007 Jan-Feb
- [Impact of PET/CT on precise radiotherapy planning for non-small cell lung cancer].
- Authors: Gong HY, Yu JM, Fu Z, Li BS, Li JB, Liu TH
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- [Target volume definition, verification and correction in image-guided conformal intensity-modulated radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer].
- Authors: Zhang YJ, Li JB, Yu JM
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Positron emission tomography for radiation treatment planning.
- Authors: Grosu AL, Piert M, Weber WA, Jeremic B, Picchio M, Schratzenstaller U, Zimmermann FB, Schwaiger M, Molls M
- Issue date: 2005 Aug