Quantitative mass spectrometry-based techniques for clinical use: biomarker identification and quantification.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, United Kingdom. KSimpson@PICR.man.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe potential for development of personalised medicine through the characterisation of novel biomarkers is an exciting prospect for improved patient care. Recent advances in mass spectrometric (MS) techniques, liquid phase analyte separation and bioinformatic tools for high throughput now mean that this goal may soon become a reality. However, there are challenges to be overcome for the identification and validation of robust biomarkers. Bio-fluids such as plasma and serum are a rich source of protein, many of which may reflect disease status, and due to the ease of sampling and handling, novel blood borne biomarkers are very much sought after. MS-based methods for high throughput protein identification and quantification are now available such that the issues arising from the huge dynamic range of proteins present in plasma may be overcome, allowing deep mining of the blood proteome to reveal novel biomarker signatures for clinical use. In addition, the development of sensitive MS-based methods for biomarker validation may bypass the bottleneck created by the need for generation and usage of reliable antibodies prior to large scale screening. In this review, we discuss the MS-based methods that are available for clinical proteomic analysis and highlight the progress made and future challenges faced in this cutting edge area of research.
CitationQuantitative mass spectrometry-based techniques for clinical use: biomarker identification and quantification. 2009, 877 (13):1240-9 J. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci.
JournalJournal of Chromatography. B, Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Translational Metabolomics of Head Injury: Exploring Dysfunctional Cerebral Metabolism with Ex Vivo NMR Spectroscopy-Based Metabolite Quantification
- Authors: Wolahan SM, Hirt D, Glenn TC, Kobeissy FH
- Issue date: 2015
- Qualitative and quantitative characterization of plasma proteins when incorporating traveling wave ion mobility into a liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry workflow for biomarker discovery: use of product ion quantitation as an alternative data analysis tool for label free quantitation.
- Authors: Daly CE, Ng LL, Hakimi A, Willingale R, Jones DJ
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 18
- Sample preparation for serum/plasma profiling and biomarker identification by mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Luque-Garcia JL, Neubert TA
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 15
- Adapting mass spectrometry-based platforms for clinical proteomics applications: The capillary electrophoresis coupled mass spectrometry paradigm.
- Authors: Metzger J, Luppa PB, Good DM, Mischak H
- Issue date: 2009
- High throughput and accurate serum proteome profiling by integrated sample preparation technology and single-run data independent mass spectrometry analysis.
- Authors: Lin L, Zheng J, Yu Q, Chen W, Xing J, Chen C, Tian R
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 1