Quantitative mass spectrometry-based techniques for clinical use: biomarker identification and quantification.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, United Kingdom. KSimpson@PICR.man.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe potential for development of personalised medicine through the characterisation of novel biomarkers is an exciting prospect for improved patient care. Recent advances in mass spectrometric (MS) techniques, liquid phase analyte separation and bioinformatic tools for high throughput now mean that this goal may soon become a reality. However, there are challenges to be overcome for the identification and validation of robust biomarkers. Bio-fluids such as plasma and serum are a rich source of protein, many of which may reflect disease status, and due to the ease of sampling and handling, novel blood borne biomarkers are very much sought after. MS-based methods for high throughput protein identification and quantification are now available such that the issues arising from the huge dynamic range of proteins present in plasma may be overcome, allowing deep mining of the blood proteome to reveal novel biomarker signatures for clinical use. In addition, the development of sensitive MS-based methods for biomarker validation may bypass the bottleneck created by the need for generation and usage of reliable antibodies prior to large scale screening. In this review, we discuss the MS-based methods that are available for clinical proteomic analysis and highlight the progress made and future challenges faced in this cutting edge area of research.
CitationQuantitative mass spectrometry-based techniques for clinical use: biomarker identification and quantification. 2009, 877 (13):1240-9 J. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci.
JournalJournal of Chromatography. B, Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Translational Metabolomics of Head Injury: Exploring Dysfunctional Cerebral Metabolism with Ex Vivo NMR Spectroscopy-Based Metabolite Quantification.
- Authors: Kobeissy FH, Wolahan SM, Hirt D, Glenn TC
- Issue date: 2015
- High throughput and accurate serum proteome profiling by integrated sample preparation technology and single-run data independent mass spectrometry analysis.
- Authors: Lin L, Zheng J, Yu Q, Chen W, Xing J, Chen C, Tian R
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 1
- Utilizing human blood plasma for proteomic biomarker discovery.
- Authors: Jacobs JM, Adkins JN, Qian WJ, Liu T, Shen Y, Camp DG 2nd, Smith RD
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug
- The proteomic advantage: label-free quantification of proteins expressed in bovine milk during experimentally induced coliform mastitis.
- Authors: Boehmer JL, DeGrasse JA, McFarland MA, Tall EA, Shefcheck KJ, Ward JL, Bannerman DD
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15
- MS-Based Proteomics of Body Fluids: The End of the Beginning.
- Authors: Bader JM, Albrecht V, Mann M
- Issue date: 2023 Jul