The role of endothelial progenitor cells in tumour vasculogenesis.
AffiliationInstitute of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Nanjing University, Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital, Nanjing University School of Medicine, Nanjing, China. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To review the biological behaviour of endothelial progenitor cells and their role and significance in tumour vasculogenesis. DATA SOURCES: The data in this review were mainly from Medline and PubMed for the relevant articles in English published from March, 1997, to March, 2008. The search terms were 'endothelial progenitor cells' (EPCs) and 'neoplasm'. Articles about the biological behaviour of EPCs and their roles in tumour vasculogenesis were included. RESULTS: EPCs, whose characteristics are similar to those of endothelial cells (ECs) and stem cells, contribute to tumour vasculogenesis during tumour progression. The mobilisation, recruitment, homing and incorporation of EPCs into tumours are multi-step and multi-factor events during tumour vasculogenesis. This complex process requires the participation of many growth factors and cells, such as tumour cells, ECs, stromal cells and EPCs in the tumour microenvironment. However, there is still some debate about EPC distribution, contribution, origin and differentiation in tumour vasculogenesis. CONCLUSIONS: The characterisation of tumour-associated EPCs may provide valuable clues for more specific anti-angiogenesis therapy and/or tumour diagnosis. Many challenges remain in understanding definition, differentiation, mobilisation and recruitment of EPCs.
CitationThe role of endothelial progenitor cells in tumour vasculogenesis. 2008, 75 (5):265-73 Pathobiology
- Endothelial progenitor cells as a new agent contributing to vascular repair.
- Authors: Miller-Kasprzak E, Jagodziński PP
- Issue date: 2007 Jul-Aug
- On the role of endothelial progenitor cells in tumor neovascularization.
- Authors: Komarova NL, Mironov V
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 7
- Modelling the role of angiogenesis and vasculogenesis in solid tumour growth.
- Authors: Stamper IJ, Byrne HM, Owen MR, Maini PK
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Biological behaviour and role of endothelial progenitor cells in vascular diseases.
- Authors: Zhang QH, She MP
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 20
- Potential implications of vascular wall resident endothelial progenitor cells.
- Authors: Ergün S, Tilki D, Hohn HP, Gehling U, Kilic N
- Issue date: 2007 Nov