Measurement of inter and intra fraction organ motion in radiotherapy using cone beam CT projection images.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA method is presented for extraction of intra and inter fraction motion of seeds/markers within the patient from cone beam CT (CBCT) projection images. The position of the marker is determined on each projection image and fitted to a function describing the projection of a fixed point onto the imaging panel at different gantry angles. The fitted parameters provide the mean marker position with respect to the isocentre. Differences between the theoretical function and the actual projected marker positions are used to estimate the range of intra fraction motion and the principal motion axis in the transverse plane. The method was validated using CBCT projection images of a static marker at known locations and of a marker moving with known amplitude. The mean difference between actual and measured motion range was less than 1 mm in all directions, although errors of up to 5 mm were observed when large amplitude motion was present in an orthogonal direction. In these cases it was possible to calculate the range of motion magnitudes consistent with the observed marker trajectory. The method was shown to be feasible using clinical CBCT projections of a pancreas cancer patient.
CitationMeasurement of inter and intra fraction organ motion in radiotherapy using cone beam CT projection images. 2008, 53 (4):1087-98 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Using cone-beam CT projection images to estimate the average and complete trajectory of a fiducial marker moving with respiration.
- Authors: Becker N, Smith WL, Quirk S, Kay I
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 21
- The adaptation of megavoltage cone beam CT for use in standard radiotherapy treatment planning.
- Authors: Thomas TH, Devakumar D, Purnima S, Ravindran BP
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 7
- Reconstruction of implanted marker trajectories from cone-beam CT projection images using interdimensional correlation modeling.
- Authors: Chung H, Poulsen PR, Keall PJ, Cho S, Cho B
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Intrafraction motion of the prostate during an IMRT session: a fiducial-based 3D measurement with Cone-beam CT.
- Authors: Boda-Heggemann J, Köhler FM, Wertz H, Ehmann M, Hermann B, Riesenacker N, Küpper B, Lohr F, Wenz F
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 5
- Shading correction algorithm for improvement of cone-beam CT images in radiotherapy.
- Authors: Marchant TE, Moore CJ, Rowbottom CG, MacKay RI, Williams PC
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 21