Inn1 couples contraction of the actomyosin ring to membrane ingression during cytokinesis in budding yeast.
Murray, Stephen M
Jones, Richard C
Edmondson, Ricky D
Allen, Terence D
AffiliationCancer Research U.K., Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy rapidly depleting each of the essential budding yeast proteins of unknown function, we identified a novel factor that we call Inn1, which associates with the contractile actomyosin ring at the end of mitosis and is needed for cytokinesis. We show that Inn1 has a C2 domain at the amino terminus of the protein that is required for ingression of the plasma membrane, whereas the remainder of the protein recruits Inn1 to the actomyosin ring. The lethal effects of deleting the INN1 gene can be suppressed by artificial fusion of the C2 domain to other components of the actomyosin ring, restoring membrane ingression on contraction of the actomyosin ring. Our data indicate that recruitment of the C2 domain of Inn1 to the contractile actomyosin ring is crucial for ingression of the plasma membrane during cytokinesis in budding yeast.
CitationInn1 couples contraction of the actomyosin ring to membrane ingression during cytokinesis in budding yeast. 2008, 10 (4):395-406 Nat. Cell Biol.
JournalNature Cell Biology
- Cyk3 acts in actomyosin ring independent cytokinesis by recruiting Inn1 to the yeast bud neck.
- Authors: Jendretzki A, Ciklic I, Rodicio R, Schmitz HP, Heinisch JJ
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Role of Inn1 and its interactions with Hof1 and Cyk3 in promoting cleavage furrow and septum formation in S. cerevisiae.
- Authors: Nishihama R, Schreiter JH, Onishi M, Vallen EA, Hanna J, Moravcevic K, Lippincott MF, Han H, Lemmon MA, Pringle JR, Bi E
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 15
- Cytokinesis: keeping ring and membrane together.
- Authors: Mendoza M, Barral Y
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 3
- Spatial coordination of cytokinetic events by compartmentalization of the cell cortex.
- Authors: Dobbelaere J, Barral Y
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 16
- Inn1 and Cyk3 regulate chitin synthase during cytokinesis in budding yeasts.
- Authors: Devrekanli A, Foltman M, Roncero C, Sanchez-Diaz A, Labib K
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 15