AuthorsBoard, Ruth E
Thelwell, Nicola J
Ravetto, Paul F
Ranson, Malcolm R
AffiliationDiscovery Medicine, AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals, Macclesfield, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Mutations in the PIK3CA gene (phosphoinositide-3-kinase, catalytic, alpha polypeptide) have recently been described in a number of cancers, and their detection is currently limited because of the low sensitivity of conventional sequencing techniques. METHODS: We combined Amplification Refractory Mutation System (ARMS; AstraZeneca) allele-specific PCR and Scorpions (DxS) to develop assays for tumor-borne PIK3CA mutations and used real-time PCR to develop high-throughput multiplexed assays for the most commonly reported PIK3CA mutants (H1047L, H1047R, E542K, E545K). RESULTS: These assays were more sensitive than sequencing and could detect 5 copies of mutant DNA in proportions as low as 0.1% of the total DNA. We assayed DNA extracted from human tumors and detected PIK3CA mutation frequencies of 10.2% in colorectal cancer, 38.7% in breast cancer, 1.9% in lung cancer, and 2.9% in melanoma. In contrast, sequencing detected only 53% of the mutations detected by our assay. CONCLUSIONS: Multiplexed assays, which can easily be applied to clinical samples, have been developed for the detection of PIK3CA mutations.
CitationMultiplexed assays for detection of mutations in PIK3CA. 2008, 54 (4):757-60 Clin. Chem.
- PIK3CA gene mutations in breast carcinoma in Malaysian patients.
- Authors: Ching-Shian Leong V, Jabal MF, Leong PP, Abdullah MA, Gul YA, Seow HF
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- The PIK3CA gene is mutated with high frequency in human breast cancers.
- Authors: Bachman KE, Argani P, Samuels Y, Silliman N, Ptak J, Szabo S, Konishi H, Karakas B, Blair BG, Lin C, Peters BA, Velculescu VE, Park BH
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Detection of PIK3CA mutations in circulating free DNA in patients with breast cancer.
- Authors: Board RE, Wardley AM, Dixon JM, Armstrong AC, Howell S, Renshaw L, Donald E, Greystoke A, Ranson M, Hughes A, Dive C
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- High frequency of mutations of the PIK3CA gene in human cancers.
- Authors: Samuels Y, Wang Z, Bardelli A, Silliman N, Ptak J, Szabo S, Yan H, Gazdar A, Powell SM, Riggins GJ, Willson JK, Markowitz S, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B, Velculescu VE
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 23
- K-ras mutation: early detection in molecular diagnosis and risk assessment of colorectal, pancreas, and lung cancers--a review.
- Authors: Minamoto T, Mai M, Ronai Z
- Issue date: 2000