Alternating irinotecan with oxaliplatin combined with UFT plus leucovorin (SCOUT) in metastatic colorectal cancer.
AuthorsSheikh, Hamid Y
Valle, Juan W
Waddell, Thomas K
Saunders, Mark P
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTegafur-uracil (UFT) plus leucovorin (LV, folinic acid) with alternating irinotecan and oxaliplatin were effective and well tolerated in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) in a phase I study. This study expanded the maximum tolerated dose group. Patients aged >or=18 years had histologically confirmed, inoperable, previously untreated, measurable mCRC. Patients received irinotecan 180 mg m(-2) on day 1, oxaliplatin 100 mg m(-2) on day 15 and UFT 250 mg m(-2) plus LV 90 mg on days 1-21 every 28 days. The phase I/II study comprised 45 patients, 29 at the maximum tolerated dose (MTD). The response rate in 38 evaluable patients was 63% (95% confidence interval (CI): 49-80). Median time to progression and overall survival were 8.7 months (95% CI: 7.9-10.4) and 16.8 months (95% CI: 9.6-25.3), respectively. In the MTD group, one patient had grade 3 leucopenia; one had grade 3 neutropaenia; three had grade 3 diarrhoea; and one had grade 3 neurotoxicity. No hand-foot syndrome grade >1 was seen. In total, 67% of eligible patients received second-line therapy. UFT plus LV with alternating irinotecan and oxaliplatin is an efficacious first-line treatment for mCRC, with minimal neurotoxicity and hand-foot syndrome.
CitationAlternating irinotecan with oxaliplatin combined with UFT plus leucovorin (SCOUT) in metastatic colorectal cancer. 2008, 99 (4):577-83 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Concurrent irinotecan, oxaliplatin and UFT in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: a phase I study.
- Authors: Sheikh HY, Valle JW, Palmer K, Sjursen A, Craven O, Wilson G, Swindell R, Saunders MP
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 15
- A phase I/II study of oral uracil/tegafur (UFT), leucovorin and irinotecan in patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Mackay HJ, Hill M, Twelves C, Glasspool R, Price T, Campbell S, Massey A, Macham MA, Uzzel M, Bailey SM, Martin C, Cunningham D
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- UFT/leucovorin and oxaliplatin alternated with UFT/leucovorin and irinotecan in metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Petrioli R, Sabatino M, Fiaschi AI, Marsili S, Pozzessere D, Messinese S, Correale P, Civitelli S, Tanzini G, Tani F, De Martino A, Marzocca G, Lorenzi M, Giorgi G, Francini G
- Issue date: 2004 Jan 26
- Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of tegafur-uracil/leucovorin combined with 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin and irinotecan in patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Chayahara N, Tamura T, Yamamori M, Kadowaki Y, Okuno T, Miki I, Tsuda M, Nishisaki H, Maeda T, Inoue Y, Okumura K, Azuma T, Kasuga M, Sakaeda T, Hirai M
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Retrospectively comparative evaluation of the first- and second-line chemotherapy with campto and oxaliplatin combined with oral tegafur/uracil (UFT)/leucovorin (LV) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Hsiao SC, Lin JF, Chuang MT, Lee YA, Wu DL
- Issue date: 2009 Oct-Dec