Five commercially available insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) assays in comparison to the former Nichols Advantage IGF-I in a growth hormone treated population.
Brabant, Georg E
AffiliationInstitute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) level is accepted to diagnose the growth hormone (GH) status. Here, we evaluated the DRG IGF-I 600 ELISA, DSL IGF-I ELISA, IDS OCTEIA IGF-I, Mediagnost IGF-I-ELISA, and the Siemens Immulite 2500 IGF-I in comparison to the former Nichols Advantage IGF-I assay. METHODS: Imprecision was determined by use of a serum pool and commercial control materials. Accuracy was evaluated by means of a method comparison to Nichols in 173 serum samples of GH deficient patients. RESULTS: The Siemens and the IDS IGF-I assays showed the lowest imprecision with coefficients of variation up to 3.6% and 6.9%, respectively. Both correlated best to Nichols (Siemens: y=0.667X+8.8 microg/L, r=0.950; IDS: y=0.527 X+4.6 microg/L, r=0.927) with the lowest dispersion of residuals from a linear equation. The DSL assay had the highest comparability to Nichols (y=1.000 X+35.5 microg/L, r=0.864), but with a considerable scattering. CONCLUSIONS: To yield IGF-I determination comparable to the former Nichols IGF-I, either the Siemens or the IDS assay should be applied, and the results should be converted by a linear method transformation. Where a conversion factor is not desired, the DSL assay should be selected.
CitationFive commercially available insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) assays in comparison to the former Nichols Advantage IGF-I in a growth hormone treated population. 2008, 46 (12):1776-83 Clin. Chem. Lab. Med.
JournalClinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine
- Evaluation of immunoassays for the measurement of insulin-like growth factor-I and procollagen type III peptide, indirect biomarkers of recombinant human growth hormone misuse in sport.
- Authors: Abellan R, Ventura R, Pichini S, Pascual JA, Pacifici R, Di Carlo S, Bacosi A, Segura J, Zuccaro P
- Issue date: 2005
- Validation of the IDS Octeia ELISA for the determination of insulin-like growth factor 1 in equine serum and tendon tissue extracts.
- Authors: Lygren T, Schjerling P, Jacobsen S, Berg LC, Nielsen MO, Langberg H, Thomsen PD
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Serum IGF-I measured by four different immunoassays in patients with adult GH deficiency or acromegaly and in a control population.
- Authors: Granada ML, Ulied A, Casanueva FF, Pico A, Lucas T, Torres E, Sanmartí A
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Performance characteristics of the IMMULITE 2000 insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 assay.
- Authors: Owen WE, Roberts WL
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Evaluation of disease status with sensitive measures of growth hormone secretion in 60 postoperative patients with acromegaly.
- Authors: Freda PU, Post KD, Powell JS, Wardlaw SL
- Issue date: 1998 Nov