Identified with Open Access button
Cexus, O. N. F.
Gethings, L. A.
Plumb, R. S.
Whetton, A. D.
Townsend, Paul A
AffiliationManchester Cancer Research Centre, Division of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstate cancer is the most common malignant tumour in men. Improved testing for diagnosis, risk prediction, and response to treatment would improve care. Here, we identified a proteomic signature of prostate cancer in peripheral blood using data-independent acquisition mass spectrometry combined with machine learning. A highly predictive signature was derived, which was associated with relevant pathways, including the coagulation, complement, and clotting cascades, as well as plasma lipoprotein particle remodeling. We further validated the identified biomarkers against a second cohort, identifying a panel of five key markers (GP5, SERPINA5, ECM1, IGHG1, and THBS1) which retained most of the diagnostic power of the overall dataset, achieving an AUC of 0.91. Taken together, this study provides a proteomic signature complementary to PSA for the diagnosis of patients with localised prostate cancer, with the further potential for assessing risk of future development of prostate cancer. Data are available via ProteomeXchange with identifier PXD025484.
CitationMuazzam A, Spick M, Cexus ONF, Geary B, Azhar F, Pandha H, et al. A Novel Blood Proteomic Signature for Prostate Cancer. Cancers. 2023 Feb;15(4). PubMed PMID: WOS:000938954300001.
- A Prostate Cancer Proteomics Database for SWATH-MS Based Protein Quantification.
- Authors: Muazzam A, Chiasserini D, Kelsall J, Geifman N, Whetton AD, Townsend PA
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 8
- Proteomic signature associated with chronic kidney disease (CKD) progression identified by data-independent acquisition mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Ramírez Medina CR, Ali I, Baricevic-Jones I, Odudu A, Saleem MA, Whetton AD, Kalra PA, Geifman N
- Issue date: 2023 Apr 20
- Identifying prostate cancer and its clinical risk in asymptomatic men using machine learning of high dimensional peripheral blood flow cytometric natural killer cell subset phenotyping data.
- Authors: Hood SP, Cosma G, Foulds GA, Johnson C, Reeder S, McArdle SE, Khan MA, Pockley AG
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 28
- Identification of a Biomarker Panel for Early Detection of Lung Cancer Patients.
- Authors: Geary B, Walker MJ, Snow JT, Lee DCH, Pernemalm M, Maleki-Dizaji S, Azadbakht N, Apostolidou S, Barnes J, Krysiak P, Shah R, Booton R, Dive C, Crosbie PA, Whetton AD
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 6
- Tumour genomic and microenvironmental heterogeneity for integrated prediction of 5-year biochemical recurrence of prostate cancer: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Lalonde E, Ishkanian AS, Sykes J, Fraser M, Ross-Adams H, Erho N, Dunning MJ, Halim S, Lamb AD, Moon NC, Zafarana G, Warren AY, Meng X, Thoms J, Grzadkowski MR, Berlin A, Have CL, Ramnarine VR, Yao CQ, Malloff CA, Lam LL, Xie H, Harding NJ, Mak DYF, Chu KC, Chong LC, Sendorek DH, P'ng C, Collins CC, Squire JA, Jurisica I, Cooper C, Eeles R, Pintilie M, Dal Pra A, Davicioni E, Lam WL, Milosevic M, Neal DE, van der Kwast T, Boutros PC, Bristow RG
- Issue date: 2014 Dec