Reported hearing outcome measures following stereotactic radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma: a scoping review
Hannan, C. J.
King, A. T.
Whitfield, Gillian A
Pathmanaban, O. N.
Lloyd, S. K.
Munro, K. J.
AffiliationManchester Centre for Audiology and Deafness, School of Health Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground Evidence on hearing outcome measures when assessing hearing preservation following stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) for adults with vestibular schwannoma (VS) has not previously been collated in a structured review. Objective The objective of the present study was to perform a scoping review of the evidence regarding the choice of hearing outcomes and other methodological characteristics following SRS for adults with VS. Methods The protocol was registered in the International Platform of Registered Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Protocols (INPLASY) and reported according to the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Review and Meta-Analyses extension guidelines for scoping reviews. A systematic search of five online databases revealed 1,591 studies, 247 of which met the inclusion criteria. Results The majority of studies (n = 213, 86%) were retrospective cohort or case series with the remainder (n = 34, 14%) prospective cohort. Pure-tone audiometry and speech intelligibility were included in 222 (90%) and 158 (64%) studies, respectively, often summarized within a classification scheme and lacking procedural details. Fifty-nine (24%) studies included self-report measures. The median duration of follow-up, when reported, was 43 months (interquartile range: 29, 4–150). Conclusion Evidence on hearing disability after SRS for VS is based on low-quality studies which are inherently susceptible to bias. This review has highlighted an urgent need for a randomized controlled trial assessing hearing outcomes in patients with VS managed with radiosurgery or radiological observation. Similarly, consensus and coproduction of a core outcome set to determine relevant hearing and communication outcome domains is required. This will ensure that patient priorities, including communication abilities in the presence of background noise and reduced participation restrictions, are addressed
CitationAlmufarrij I, Hannan CJ, King AT, Vail A, Heal C, Whitfield G, et al. Reported Hearing Outcome Measures Following Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Vestibular Schwannoma: A Scoping Review. Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B-Skull Base. PubMed PMID: WOS:000937038700002.
JournalJournal of Neurological Surgery Part B-Skull Base