Ultrastructural characteristics of erythroid cells in congenital dyserythropoietic anemia type II, with a focus on peripheral cisternae and double membranes
Identified with Open Access button
AffiliationState Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, National Clinical Research Center for Blood Diseases, Haihe Laboratory of the Cell Ecosystem, Institute of Hematology and Blood Diseases Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Tianjin, China
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPeripheral cisternae and double membranes (PCDMs) in erythroid cells are a landmark of type II congenital dyserythropoietic anemia (CDA). To gain further insights into the mechanism of dyserythropoiesis, erythroblasts and erythrocytes in bone marrow were studied in 22 Chinese patients with CDA Ⅱ by transmission electron microscopy. The study demonstrated an increase in all patients in erythroblasts with PCDMs with development from pro-erythroblast to red blood cells. PCDMs often connected with cisternae of endoplasmic reticulum (ER) and the perinuclear space, and were accompanied by karyopyknosis, karyolysis and disruption in polychromatic and orthochromatic erythroblasts. The results suggest that PCDMs are transformed from ER during erythropoiesis and participate in the dissolution and deletion of late erythroid cells in patients with CDA II.
CitationRu YX, Dong SX, Liu J, Eyden B. Ultrastructural characteristics of erythroid cells in congenital dyserythropoietic anemia type II, with a focus on peripheral cisternae and double membranes. Blood science (Baltimore, Md). 2023 Jan;5(1):25-31. PubMed PMID: 36742183. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC9891439. Epub 2023/02/07. eng.
- [Ultrastructural characteristics of congenital dyserythropoietic anemia-type I].
- Authors: Ru YX, Zhu XF, Zhao SY, Liu JH, Zhong S
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Congenital dyserythropoietic anaemia with novel intra-erythroblastic and intra-erythrocytic inclusions.
- Authors: Wickramasinghe SN, Illum N, Wimberley PD
- Issue date: 1991 Oct
- Congenital dyserythropoietic anemia type II: morphological characterization of the erythroid colonies (BFU-E) from the bone marrow and peripheral blood of two patients.
- Authors: Florensa L, Woessner S, Besses C, Solé F, Sans-Sabrafen J
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Ablation of Tmcc2 Gene Impairs Erythropoiesis in Mice.
- Authors: Kumari R, Grzywa TM, Małecka-Giełdowska M, Tyszkowska K, Wrzesień R, Ciepiela O, Nowis D, Kaźmierczak P
- Issue date: 2022 May 9
- Characteristic phenotypes associated with congenital dyserythropoietic anemia (type II) manifest at different stages of erythropoiesis.
- Authors: Satchwell TJ, Pellegrin S, Bianchi P, Hawley BR, Gampel A, Mordue KE, Budnik A, Fermo E, Barcellini W, Stephens DJ, van den Akker E, Toye AM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov