An ESTRO-ACROP guideline on quality assurance and medical physics commissioning of online MRI guided radiotherapy systems based on a consensus expert opinion
Budgell, Geoff J
Kerkmeijer, L. G. W.
Palacios, M. A.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Zurich and University of Zurich, 8091 Zuri-ch
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: The goal of this consensus expert opinion was to define quality assurance (QA) tests for online magnetic resonance image (MRI) guided radiotherapy (oMRgRT) systems and to define the important medical physics aspects for installation and commissioning of an oMRgRT system. Materials and methods: Ten medical physicists and two radiation oncologists experienced in oMRgRT participated in the survey. In the first round of the consensus expert opinion, ideas on QA and commissioning were collected. Only tests and aspects different from commissioning of a CT guided radiotherapy (RT) system were considered. In the following two rounds all twelve participants voted on the importance of the QA tests, their recommended frequency and their suitability for the two oMRgRT systems approved for clinical use as well as on the importance of the aspects to consider during medical physics commissioning. Results: Twenty-four QA tests were identified which are potentially important during commissioning and routine QA on oMRgRT systems compared to online CT guided RT systems. An additional eleven tasks and aspects related to construction, workflow development and training were collected. Consensus was found for most tests on their importance, their recommended frequency and their suitability for the two approved systems. In addition, eight aspects mostly related to the definition of workflows were also found to be important during commissioning. Conclusions: A program for QA and commissioning of oMRgRT systems was developed to support medical physicists to prepare for safe handling of such systems.
CitationTanadini-Lang S, Budgell G, Bohoudi O, Corradini S, Cusumano D, Güngör G, et al. An ESTRO-ACROP guideline on quality assurance and medical physics commissioning of online MRI guided radiotherapy systems based on a consensus expert opinion. Radiotherapy and oncology : journal of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology. 2023 Jan 31:109504. PubMed PMID: 36736592. Epub 2023/02/04. eng.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- ESTRO-ACROP recommendations on the clinical implementation of hybrid MR-linac systems in radiation oncology.
- Authors: Corradini S, Alongi F, Andratschke N, Azria D, Bohoudi O, Boldrini L, Bruynzeel A, Hörner-Rieber J, Jürgenliemk-Schulz I, Lagerwaard F, McNair H, Raaymakers B, Schytte T, Tree A, Valentini V, Wilke L, Zips D, Belka C
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- ESTRO-ACROP guideline on surface guided radiation therapy.
- Authors: Freislederer P, Batista V, Öllers M, Buschmann M, Steiner E, Kügele M, Fracchiolla F, Corradini S, de Smet M, Moura F, Perryck S, Dionisi F, Nguyen D, Bert C, Lehmann J
- Issue date: 2022 Aug
- MRI commissioning of 1.5T MR-linac systems - a multi-institutional study.
- Authors: Tijssen RHN, Philippens MEP, Paulson ES, Glitzner M, Chugh B, Wetscherek A, Dubec M, Wang J, van der Heide UA
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Quality assurance needs for modern image-based radiotherapy: recommendations from 2007 interorganizational symposium on "quality assurance of radiation therapy: challenges of advanced technology".
- Authors: Williamson JF, Dunscombe PB, Sharpe MB, Thomadsen BR, Purdy JA, Deye JA
- Issue date: 2008
- AAPM MEDICAL PHYSICS PRACTICE GUIDELINE 2.b.: Commissioning and quality assurance of X-ray-based image-guided radiotherapy systems.
- Authors: McCullough SP, Alkhatib H, Antes KJ, Castillo S, Fontenot JD, Jensen AR, Matney J, Olch AJ
- Issue date: 2021 Sep