New technique for in-continuity axillary and supraclavicular lymphadenectomy for advanced metastatic melanoma using intraoperative image guidance: a case report
AffiliationDepartments of Plastic Surgery.Radiology, The Christie NHS Foundation, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSimultaneous involvement of the supraclavicular and axillary lymphatic basins is known to occur in metastatic skin cancers. We present the case of a 35-year-old male with metastatic melanoma present in the right neck and axillary lymph nodes. He underwent a combined, in-continuity dissection of both basins using intraoperative ultrasound to ensure full clearance of lymph nodes from the cervicoaxillary canal, which otherwise would have been impossible to achieve without clavicle osteotomy. This allowed us to avoid a division of the clavicle and related morbidity. Postoperative imaging confirmed no residual disease, and no local recurrence subsequently. We conclude that intraoperative use of ultrasound can help guide surgeons trying to achieve clearance of metastatic disease in anatomically complex regions, avoiding unnecessary morbidity.
CitationGajanan K, Daga K, Mullan D, Kosutic D. New technique for in-continuity axillary and supraclavicular lymphadenectomy for advanced metastatic melanoma using intraoperative image guidance: a case report. Melanoma research. 2022 Dec 28. PubMed PMID: 36728700. Epub 2023/02/03. eng.
- Combined ipsilateral neck and axillary lymphadenectomy for metastatic skin cancers: a case series and surgical tips.
- Authors: Goodenough J, Martin H, Shaaban H
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Gamma probe-directed lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymphadenectomy in primary melanoma: Reliability of the procedure and analysis of failures after long-term follow-up.
- Authors: Jacobs IA, Chevinsky AH, Swayne LC, Magidson JG, Britto EJ, Smith TJ
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- [A case of malignant melanoma, axillary lymph node metastasis proved by fine needle aspiration biopsy cytology].
- Authors: Shinozaki N, Hashimoto K, Yamaguchi A, Hukunaga M, Hosoya T, Uchida K, Ishikawa M, Sakurai K
- Issue date: 1987 Apr
- [Axillar lymphadenectomy].
- Authors: Oertli D
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Parotid selective lymphadenectomy in malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Wells KE, Stadelmann WK, Rapaport DP, Hamlin R, Cruse CW, Reintgen D
- Issue date: 1999 Jul