Composite nanoarchitectonics of photoactivated titania-based materials with anticancer properties
Identified with Open Access button
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
Pavlatou, E. A.
AffiliationLaboratory of General Chemistry, School of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Zografou Campus, 15789 Zografou, Greece
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe synthesis of titania-based composite materials with anticancer potential under visible-light irradiation is the aim of this study. In specific, titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles (NPs) chemically modified with silver were embedded in a stimuli-responsive microgel (a crosslinked interpenetrating network (IP) network that was synthesized by poly (N-Isopropylacrylamide) and linear chains of polyacrylic acid sodium salt, forming composite particles. The ultimate goal of this research, and for our future plans, is to develop a drug-delivery system that uses optical fibers that could efficiently photoactivate NPs, targeting cancer cells. The produced Ag-TiO2 NPs, the microgel and the composite materials were characterized through X-ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR), micro-Raman spectroscopy, ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy (UV-Vis), dynamic light scattering (DLS) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Our results indicated that Ag-TiO2 NPs were successfully embedded within the thermoresponsive microgel. Either Ag-TiO2 NPs or the composite materials exhibited high photocatalytic degradation efficiency on the pollutant rhodamine B and significant anticancer potential under visible-light irradiation.
CitationPapadopoulou-Fermeli N, Lagopati N, Pippa N, Sakellis E, Boukos N, Gorgoulis VG, et al. Composite Nanoarchitectonics of Photoactivated Titania-Based Materials with Anticancer Properties. Pharmaceutics. 2022 Dec 30;15(1). PubMed PMID: 36678763. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC9864881. Epub 2023/01/22. eng.
- Development of Smart Composites Based on Doped-TiO(2) Nanoparticles with Visible Light Anticancer Properties.
- Authors: Galata E, Georgakopoulou EA, Kassalia ME, Papadopoulou-Fermeli N, Pavlatou EA
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 14
- Efficient photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants by magnetically recoverable nitrogen-doped TiO2 nanocomposite photocatalysts under visible light irradiation.
- Authors: Hamzezadeh-Nakhjavani S, Tavakoli O, Akhlaghi SP, Salehi Z, Esmailnejad-Ahranjani P, Arpanaei A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Visible-Light Active Sulfur-Doped Titania Nanoparticles Immobilized on a Silica Matrix: Synthesis, Characterization and Photocatalytic Degradation of Pollutants.
- Authors: Kalampaliki T, Makri SP, Papadaki E, Grigoropoulos A, Zoikis Karathanasis A, Deligkiozi I
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 28
- Synthesis of Fe- and Co-Doped TiO(2) with Improved Photocatalytic Activity Under Visible Irradiation Toward Carbamazepine Degradation.
- Authors: El Mragui A, Logvina Y, Pinto da Silva L, Zegaoui O, Esteves da Silva JCG
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 24
- UV-visible light-activated Ag-decorated, monodisperse TiO2 aggregates for treatment of the pharmaceutical oxytetracycline.
- Authors: Han C, Likodimos V, Khan JA, Nadagouda MN, Andersen J, Falaras P, Rosales-Lombardi P, Dionysiou DD
- Issue date: 2014 Oct