Avelumab plus axitinib as first-line therapy for advanced renal cell carcinoma: long-term results from the JAVELIN Renal 100 Phase Ib Trial
Thistlethwaite, Fiona C
Ornstein, M. C.
Beckermann, K. E.
Balar, A. V.
Philips, G. K.
Gordon, M. S.
di Pietro, A.
Choueiri, T. K.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Progression-free survival was significantly longer in patients who received avelumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib as first-line treatment for advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC) in a randomized phase III trial. We report long-term safety and efficacy of avelumab plus axitinib as first-line treatment for patients with aRCC from the JAVELIN Renal 100 phase Ib trial (NCT02493751). Materials and methods: In this open-label, multicenter, phase Ib study, patients with untreated aRCC received avelumab 10 mg/kg every 2 weeks plus axitinib 5 mg twice daily or with axitinib for 7 days followed by avelumab plus axitinib. Safety and efficacy were assessed in all patients receiving at least one dose of avelumab or axitinib. Results: Overall, 55 patients were enrolled and treated. Median follow-up was 55.7 months (95% CI, 54.5-58.7). Treatment-related adverse events of any grade or grade ≥3 occurred in 54 (98.2%) and 34 (61.8%) patients, respectively. The confirmed objective response rate was 60.0% (95% CI, 45.9-73.0), including complete response in 10.9% of patients. Median duration of response was 35.9 months (95% CI, 12.7-52.9); the probability of response was 65.8% (95% CI, 46.7-79.4) at 2 years. Median progression-free survival was 8.3 months (95% CI, 5.3-32.0). Median overall survival was not reached (95% CI, 40.8-not estimable); the 5-year overall survival rate was 57.3% (95% CI, 41.2-70.5). Conclusion: Five-year follow-up for combination treatment with avelumab plus axitinib in previously untreated patients with aRCC showed long-term clinical activity with no new safety signals, supporting use of this regimen within its approved indication in clinical practice
CitationLarkin J, Oya M, Martignoni M, Thistlethwaite F, Nathan P, Ornstein MC, et al. Avelumab Plus Axitinib as First-Line Therapy for Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma: Long-Term Results from the JAVELIN Renal 100 Phase Ib Trial. Oncologist. 2022 Dec 28. PubMed PMID: 36576173. Epub 2022/12/29. eng.
- Preliminary results for avelumab plus axitinib as first-line therapy in patients with advanced clear-cell renal-cell carcinoma (JAVELIN Renal 100): an open-label, dose-finding and dose-expansion, phase 1b trial.
- Authors: Choueiri TK, Larkin J, Oya M, Thistlethwaite F, Martignoni M, Nathan P, Powles T, McDermott D, Robbins PB, Chism DD, Cho D, Atkins MB, Gordon MS, Gupta S, Uemura H, Tomita Y, Compagnoni A, Fowst C, di Pietro A, Rini BI
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Efficacy and safety of avelumab plus axitinib in elderly patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma: extended follow-up results from JAVELIN Renal 101.
- Authors: Tomita Y, Motzer RJ, Choueiri TK, Rini BI, Miyake H, Uemura H, Albiges L, Fujii Y, Umeyama Y, Wang J, Mariani M, Schmidinger M
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Updated efficacy results from the JAVELIN Renal 101 trial: first-line avelumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Choueiri TK, Motzer RJ, Rini BI, Haanen J, Campbell MT, Venugopal B, Kollmannsberger C, Gravis-Mescam G, Uemura M, Lee JL, Grimm MO, Gurney H, Schmidinger M, Larkin J, Atkins MB, Pal SK, Wang J, Mariani M, Krishnaswami S, Cislo P, Chudnovsky A, Fowst C, Huang B, di Pietro A, Albiges L
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Avelumab plus Axitinib versus Sunitinib for Advanced Renal-Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Motzer RJ, Penkov K, Haanen J, Rini B, Albiges L, Campbell MT, Venugopal B, Kollmannsberger C, Negrier S, Uemura M, Lee JL, Vasiliev A, Miller WH Jr, Gurney H, Schmidinger M, Larkin J, Atkins MB, Bedke J, Alekseev B, Wang J, Mariani M, Robbins PB, Chudnovsky A, Fowst C, Hariharan S, Huang B, di Pietro A, Choueiri TK
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 21
- Association of C-reactive protein with efficacy of avelumab plus axitinib in advanced renal cell carcinoma: long-term follow-up results from JAVELIN Renal 101.
- Authors: Tomita Y, Larkin J, Venugopal B, Haanen J, Kanayama H, Eto M, Grimm MO, Fujii Y, Umeyama Y, Huang B, Mariani M, di Pietro A, Choueiri TK
- Issue date: 2022 Oct