Julyan, Peter J
Manuel, S. G.
Almeida, P. M. D.
Viana Miranda Lima, T.
AffiliationMedical Physics Department, University Hospital Maggiore della Carità, Novara, Italy.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis article presents the protocol on Quality Controls in PET/CT and PET/MRI published online in May 2022 by the European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics (EFOMP), which was developed by the Working group for PET/CT and PET/MRI Quality Control (QC) protocol. The main objective of this protocol was to comprehensively provide simple and practical procedures that may be integrated into clinical practice to identify changes in the PET/CT/MRI system's performance and avoid short- and long-term quality deterioration. The protocol describes the quality control procedures on radionuclide calibrators, weighing scales, PET, CT and MRI systems using selected and measurable parameters that are directly linked to clinical images quality. It helps to detect problems before they can impact clinical studies in terms of safety, image quality, quantification accuracy and patient radiation dose. CT and MRI QCs are described only in the context of their use for PET (attenuation correction and anatomical localization) imaging. Detailed step-by-step instructions have been provided, limiting any misinterpretations or interpersonal variations as much as possible. This paper presents the main characteristics of the protocol illustrated together with a brief summary of the content of each chapter. A regular QC based on the proposed protocol would guarantee that PET/CT and PET/MRI systems operate under optimal conditions, resulting in the best performance for routine clinical tasks.
CitationMatheoud R, Boellaard R, Pike L, Ptacek J, Reynés-Llompart G, Soret M, et al. EFOMP's protocol quality controls in PET/CT and PET/MR. Physica medica : PM : an international journal devoted to the applications of physics to medicine and biology : official journal of the Italian Association of Biomedical Physics (AIFB). 2022 Dec 18;105:102506. PubMed PMID: 36538846. Epub 2022/12/21. eng.
- MRI-based attenuation correction for brain PET/MRI based on anatomic signature and machine learning.
- Authors: Yang X, Wang T, Lei Y, Higgins K, Liu T, Shim H, Curran WJ, Mao H, Nye JA
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 7
- PET/MRI with diagnostic MR sequences vs PET/CT in the detection of abdominal and pelvic cancer.
- Authors: Xin J, Ma Q, Guo Q, Sun H, Zhang S, Liu C, Zhai W
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- PET attenuation correction using synthetic CT from ultrashort echo-time MR imaging.
- Authors: Roy S, Wang WT, Carass A, Prince JL, Butman JA, Pham DL
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Evaluation of a 2D UNet-Based Attenuation Correction Methodology for PET/MR Brain Studies.
- Authors: Presotto L, Bettinardi V, Bagnalasta M, Scifo P, Savi A, Vanoli EG, Fallanca F, Picchio M, Perani D, Gianolli L, De Bernardi E
- Issue date: 2022 Jun
- MR-guided joint reconstruction of activity and attenuation in brain PET-MR.
- Authors: Mehranian A, Zaidi H, Reader AJ
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 15