Pro-MAP: a robust pipeline for the pre-processing of single channel protein microarray data
AffiliationDepartment of Integrated Biomedical Sciences, Division of Chemical and Systems Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The central role of proteins in diseases has made them increasingly attractive as therapeutic targets and indicators of cellular processes. Protein microarrays are emerging as an important means of characterising protein activity. Their accurate downstream analysis to produce biologically significant conclusions is largely dependent on proper pre-processing of extracted signal intensities. However, existing computational tools are not specifically tailored to the nature of these data and lack unanimity. Results: Here, we present the single-channel Protein Microarray Analysis Pipeline, a tailored computational tool for analysis of single-channel protein microarrays enabling biomarker identification, implemented in R, and as an interactive web application. We compared four existing background correction and normalization methods as well as three array filtering techniques, applied to four real datasets with two microarray designs, extracted using two software programs. The normexp, cyclic loess, and array weighting methods were most effective for background correction, normalization, and filtering respectively. Conclusions: Thus, here we provided a versatile and effective pre-processing and differential analysis workflow for single-channel protein microarray data in form of an R script and web application ( https://metaomics.uct.ac.za/shinyapps/Pro-MAP/ .) for those not well versed in the R programming language.
CitationMowoe MO, Garnett S, Lennard K, Talbot J, Townsend P, Jonas E, et al. Pro-MAP: a robust pipeline for the pre-processing of single channel protein microarray data. BMC bioinformatics. 2022 Dec 9;23(1):534. PubMed PMID: 36494629. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC9733281. Epub 2022/12/10. eng.
- Micro-Analyzer: automatic preprocessing of Affymetrix microarray data.
- Authors: Guzzi PH, Cannataro M
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- MicroGen: a MIAME compliant web system for microarray experiment information and workflow management.
- Authors: Burgarella S, Cattaneo D, Pinciroli F, Masseroli M
- Issue date: 2005 Dec 1
- A pre-processing pipeline to quantify, visualize, and reduce technical variation in protein microarray studies.
- Authors: Bérubé S, Kobayashi T, Wesolowski A, Norris DE, Ruczinski I, Moss WJ, Louis TA
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- iGEAK: an interactive gene expression analysis kit for seamless workflow using the R/shiny platform.
- Authors: Choi K, Ratner N
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 6
- BABAR: an R package to simplify the normalisation of common reference design microarray-based transcriptomic datasets.
- Authors: Alston MJ, Seers J, Hinton JC, Lucchini S
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 3