Predicting tumour radiosensitivity to deliver precision radiotherapy
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOwing to advances in radiotherapy, the physical properties of radiation can be optimized to enable individualized treatment; however, optimization is rarely based on biological properties and, therefore, treatments are generally planned with the assumption that all tumours respond similarly to radiation. Radiation affects multiple cellular pathways, including DNA damage, hypoxia, proliferation, stem cell phenotype and immune response. In this Review, we summarize the effect of these pathways on tumour responses to radiotherapy and the current state of research on genomic classifiers designed to exploit these variations to inform treatment decisions. We also discuss whether advances in genomics have generated evidence that could be practice changing and whether advances in genomics are now ready to be used to guide the delivery of radiotherapy alone or in combination.
CitationPrice JM, Prabhakaran A, West CML. Predicting tumour radiosensitivity to deliver precision radiotherapy. Nature reviews Clinical oncology. 2022 Dec 7. PubMed PMID: 36477705. Epub 2022/12/09. eng.
JournalNature Reviews Clinical Oncology
- [A genomic-adjusted radiation dose for a precision medicine in radiation oncology].
- Authors: Ah-Thiane L, Supiot S, Dutreix M
- Issue date: 2022 Sep
- Insights into the theranostic value of precision medicine on advanced radiotherapy to breast cancer.
- Authors: Jiang M, Yang J, Li K, Liu J, Jing X, Tang M
- Issue date: 2021
- Radiation biology and oncology in the genomic era.
- Authors: Kerns SL, Chuang KH, Hall W, Werner Z, Chen Y, Ostrer H, West C, Rosenstein B
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Molecular biology: the key to personalised treatment in radiation oncology?
- Authors: Hirst DG, Robson T
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Radiogenomics: towards a personalized radiation oncology.
- Authors: Roberson JD 2nd, Burnett OL 3rd, Robin N
- Issue date: 2016 Dec