PANTHER: AZD8931, inhibitor of EGFR, ERBB2 and ERBB3 signalling, combined with FOLFIRI: a Phase I/II study to determine the importance of schedule and activity in colorectal cancer
AuthorsPropper, D. J.
Saunders, Mark P
Hartley, J. A.
Spanswick, V. J.
Lowe, H. L.
Hackett, L. D.
Ng, T. T.
Barber, P. R.
Weitsman, G. E.
AffiliationBarts Cancer Institute, Queen Mary, University of London, John Vane Science Centre, Charterhouse Square, London, EC1M 6BQ, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is a therapeutic target to which HER2/HER3 activation may contribute resistance. This Phase I/II study examined the toxicity and efficacy of high-dose pulsed AZD8931, an EGFR/HER2/HER3 inhibitor, combined with chemotherapy, in metastatic colorectal cancer (CRC). Methods: Treatment-naive patients received 4-day pulses of AZD8931 with irinotecan/5-FU (FOLFIRI) in a Phase I/II single-arm trial. Primary endpoint for Phase I was dose limiting toxicity (DLT); for Phase II best overall response. Samples were analysed for pharmacokinetics, EGFR dimers in circulating exosomes and Comet assay quantitating DNA damage. Results: Eighteen patients received FOLFIRI and AZD8931. At 160 mg bd, 1 patient experienced G3 DLT; 160 mg bd was used for cohort expansion. No grade 5 adverse events (AE) reported. Seven (39%) and 1 (6%) patients experienced grade 3 and grade 4 AEs, respectively. Of 12 patients receiving 160 mg bd, best overall response rate was 25%, median PFS and OS were 8.7 and 21.2 months, respectively. A reduction in circulating HER2/3 dimer in the two responding patients after 12 weeks treatment was observed. Conclusions: The combination of pulsed high-dose AZD8931 with FOLFIRI has acceptable toxicity. Further studies of TKI sequencing may establish a role for pulsed use of such agents rather than continuous exposure.
CitationPropper DJ, Gao F, Saunders MP, Sarker D, Hartley JA, Spanswick VJ, et al. PANTHER: AZD8931, inhibitor of EGFR, ERBB2 and ERBB3 signalling, combined with FOLFIRI: a Phase I/II study to determine the importance of schedule and activity in colorectal cancer. British journal of cancer. 2022 Nov 9. PubMed PMID: 36352028. Epub 2022/11/10. eng.
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Dual Erb B Inhibition in Oesophago-gastric Cancer (DEBIOC): A phase I dose escalating safety study and randomised dose expansion of AZD8931 in combination with oxaliplatin and capecitabine chemotherapy in patients with oesophagogastric adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Thomas A, Virdee PS, Eatock M, Lord SR, Falk S, Anthoney DA, Turkington RC, Goff M, Elhussein L, Collins L, Love S, Moschandreas J, Middleton MR
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Phase I, dose-finding study of AZD8931, an inhibitor of EGFR (erbB1), HER2 (erbB2) and HER3 (erbB3) signaling, in patients with advanced solid tumors.
- Authors: Tjulandin S, Moiseyenko V, Semiglazov V, Manikhas G, Learoyd M, Saunders A, Stuart M, Keilholz U
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Inhibition of EGFR, HER2, and HER3 signaling with AZD8931 in combination with anastrozole as an anticancer approach: Phase II randomized study in women with endocrine-therapy-naïve advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Johnston S, Basik M, Hegg R, Lausoontornsiri W, Grzeda L, Clemons M, Dreosti L, Mann H, Stuart M, Cristofanilli M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Dose escalating study of cetuximab and 5-FU/folinic acid (FA)/oxaliplatin/irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) in first line therapy of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Folprecht G, Hamann S, Schütte K, Trarbach T, Stoehlmacher-Williams J, Ehninger G
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 19
- Oral S-1 with 24-h Infusion of Irinotecan plus Bevacizumab versus FOLFIRI plus Bevacizumab as First-Line Chemotherapy for Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: An Open-Label Randomized Phase II Trial.
- Authors: Sadahiro S, Suzuki T, Okada K, Saito G, Miyakita H, Ogimi T, Chan LF, Kamei Y
- Issue date: 2020