Guidelines on the use of systemic therapy in patients with advanced thyroid cancer
AffiliationWeston Park Cancer Centre, Sheffield, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith increasing understanding of the molecular alterations leading to thyroid cancers in recent years we have seen a rapid increase in the number of effective targeted systemic therapies available for patients with advanced thyroid cancer; firstly with the advent of the multi-kinase inhibitors and more recently with more specific RET, BRAF, MEK, ALK and NTRK inhibitors. Although these developments are very welcome, they have resulted in a paradigm shift in the management of advanced thyroid cancer to which thyroid oncologists have had to rapidly adapt, learning how to supervise treatment safely with novel agents, the management of novel toxicities, when and how to arrange molecular genetic testing of cancers and, perhaps most importantly, determining when the optimum time is to start these treatments in what can often be a relatively indolent, if progressive, disease. We hope that these guidelines will support clinicians in making these decisions with their patients, as well as signposting and providing useful supporting information both for patients and clinicians.
CitationWadsley J, Beasley M, Garcez K, Hoy S, Newbold K, Boelaert K. Guidelines on the Use of Systemic Therapy in Patients with Advanced Thyroid Cancer. Clinical oncology (Royal College of Radiologists (Great Britain)). 2022 Nov 3. PubMed PMID: 36336580. Epub 2022/11/07. eng.
- Molecular diagnosis and targeted treatment of advanced follicular cell-derived thyroid cancer in the precision medicine era.
- Authors: Capdevila J, Awada A, Führer-Sakel D, Leboulleux S, Pauwels P
- Issue date: 2022 May
- Targeted Therapy for Advanced Thyroid Cancer: Kinase Inhibitors and Beyond.
- Authors: Cabanillas ME, Ryder M, Jimenez C
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 1
- The Significance of BRAFV600E Mutation in Thyroid Cancer in Terms of Novel Targeted Therapies - Overview of Current Knowledge and Studies.
- Authors: Iva J, Filip G, Martin B, Pavel Ž, Jan Č
- Issue date: 2018 Fall
- Clinical Application of Next-Generation Sequencing in Advanced Thyroid Cancers.
- Authors: Ma LX, Espin-Garcia O, Bedard PL, Stockley T, Prince R, Mete O, Krzyzanowska MK
- Issue date: 2022 Jun
- Treatment of advanced thyroid cancer with targeted therapies: ten years of experience.
- Authors: Viola D, Valerio L, Molinaro E, Agate L, Bottici V, Biagini A, Lorusso L, Cappagli V, Pieruzzi L, Giani C, Sabini E, Passannati P, Puleo L, Matrone A, Pontillo-Contillo B, Battaglia V, Mazzeo S, Vitti P, Elisei R
- Issue date: 2016 Apr