The intestinal microbiota in colorectal cancer metastasis - Passive observer or key player?
McBain, A. J.
AffiliationColorectal & Peritoneal Oncology Centre Lab, Oglesby Cancer Research Centre, Division of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK; Colorectal & Peritoneal Oncology Centre, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe association between colorectal cancer (CRC) and alterations in intestinal microbiota has been demonstrated by several studies, and there is increasing evidence that bacteria are an important component of the tumour microenvironment. Bacteria may contribute to the development of CRC metastasis by signalling through metabolites, promoting epithelial-mesenchymal transition, creating an immunosuppressive microenvironment and through the impairment of the gut-vascular barrier. Host immunity and intestinal microbiome symbiosis play a key role in determining innate and adaptive immune responses at the local and systemic level. How this gut-systemic axis might contribute to the development of CRC metastasis is however unclear. Several clinical trials are investigating the impact of microbiome-targeted interventions on the systemic inflammatory response, treatment-related complications, and side effects. This review examines pre-clinical and clinical studies which have examined the role of microbes in relation to CRC metastasis, the mechanisms which may contribute to tumour dissemination, and directions for future work.
CitationPatel M, McAllister M, Nagaraju R, Badran S, Edwards J, McBain AJ, et al. The intestinal microbiota in colorectal cancer metastasis - Passive observer or key player? Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2022 Oct 17;180:103856. PubMed PMID: 36257533. Epub 2022/10/19. eng.
JournalCritical reviews in oncology and hematology
- Fecal Metabolomic Signatures in Colorectal Adenoma Patients Are Associated with Gut Microbiota and Early Events of Colorectal Cancer Pathogenesis.
- Authors: Kim M, Vogtmann E, Ahlquist DA, Devens ME, Kisiel JB, Taylor WR, White BA, Hale VL, Sung J, Chia N, Sinha R, Chen J
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 18
- Immune System, Microbiota, and Microbial Metabolites: The Unresolved Triad in Colorectal Cancer Microenvironment.
- Authors: Hanus M, Parada-Venegas D, Landskron G, Wielandt AM, Hurtado C, Alvarez K, Hermoso MA, López-Köstner F, De la Fuente M
- Issue date: 2021
- Gut microbiota and colorectal cancer metastasis.
- Authors: Zheng Z, Hou X, Bian Z, Jia W, Zhao L
- Issue date: 2023 Feb 28
- Intestinal organoids: a model to study the role of microbiota in the colonic tumor microenvironment.
- Authors: Nalluri H, Subramanian S, Staley C
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Role of Gut Microbiota in the Development and Treatment of Colorectal Cancer.
- Authors: Lin C, Cai X, Zhang J, Wang W, Sheng Q, Hua H, Zhou X
- Issue date: 2019