Eribulin treatment for patients with metastatic breast cancer: The United Kingdom experience-a multicenter retrospective study
Walter, H. S.
AffiliationMedical Oncology, University Hospitals Birmingham Foundation Trust, Birmingham, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: This study examined real-world data from patients who received eribulin for metastatic breast cancer (MBC) collected from 14 hospitals across the UK. Methods: Anonymized data were collected retrospectively from patients with MBC who had received eribulin. The data included hormone-receptor status, histological diagnosis, age, prior chemotherapy, response to eribulin, progression-free survival (PFS), and overall survival (OS). Results: Among 577 patients analyzed, the median age was 56 years and most patients (73%) were estrogen-receptor positive. The median OS was 288 days (95% confidence interval [CI]: 261-315) and the PFS was 117 days (95% CI: 105-129). Median OS was higher among older patients (≥ 65 vs < 65 years: 325 days [95% CI: 264-385] vs 285 days [95% CI: 252-317]; P = 0.028). Median OS was also higher in patients that received eribulin after fewer prior lines of chemotherapy (≤ 2 vs > 2 prior: 328 days [95% CI: 264-385] vs 264 days [95% CI: 229-298]; P = 0.042). Conclusions: These retrospective data suggest eribulin can be successfully used in older patients with MBC. Eribulin treatment was more effective in earlier-line settings which, while predictable, supports consideration of eribulin as a second-line treatment option.
CitationJafri M, Kristeleit H, Misra V, Baxter M, Ahmed S, Jegannathen A, et al. Eribulin treatment for patients with metastatic breast cancer: The United Kingdom experience-a multicenter retrospective study. Oncology. PubMed PMID: WOS:000848465400001.
- Effect of Eribulin With or Without Pembrolizumab on Progression-Free Survival for Patients With Hormone Receptor-Positive, ERBB2-Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Tolaney SM, Barroso-Sousa R, Keenan T, Li T, Trippa L, Vaz-Luis I, Wulf G, Spring L, Sinclair NF, Andrews C, Pittenger J, Richardson ET 3rd, Dillon D, Lin NU, Overmoyer B, Partridge AH, Van Allen E, Mittendorf EA, Winer EP, Krop IE
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 1
- Systematic review of Real-World effectiveness of eribulin for locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Chabot I, Zhao Q, Su Y
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Efficacy and safety of eribulin monotherapy in patients with heavily pretreated metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Ates O, Babacan T, Kertmen N, Sarici F, Cenoli A, Akin S, Karakas Y, Kilickap S, Ozisik Y, Sever AR, Aksoy S, Altundag K
- Issue date: 2016 Mar-Apr
- Effectiveness of Eribulin in Metastatic Breast Cancer: 10 Years of Real-World Clinical Experience in the United States.
- Authors: Mougalian SS, Kish JK, Zhang J, Liassou D, Feinberg BA
- Issue date: 2021 May
- Average duration of prior treatment lines predicts clinical benefit to eribulin chemotherapy in patients with metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Coe F, Misra V, McCabe Y, Adderley H, Woodhouse L, Ayub Z, Wang X, Howell S, Ekholm M
- Issue date: 2022 Feb