A national survey of the radiotherapy dosimetrist workforce in the UK
AffiliationPlymouth Hospital NHS Trust, Plymouth, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: To undertake a national survey of the Radiotherapy Dosimetrist workforce within the UK; examining different attributes and experiences, comparing results with published evidence within the literature. Methods: A national, anonymised survey was undertaken between Dec 2020 and end of Feb 2021; employing a mixed-methods approach and blend of closed, open-ended answer choices and free-text comments. Questions included range of training routes and job titles; registration status; job tasks and engagement with Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Results: A total of 223 individuals responded. Nearly half were trained via therapeutic radiography; approximately, a fifth through a clinical technologist/physics routes. Most (70%) had Dosimetrist in their job title. Nearly 70% were statutorily registered, and almost a fifth were in the voluntary register of Clinical Technologists. Most job tasks were in treatment planning - with 57% spending over 70% of their time there. Most notably, 29% were not involved in any CPD scheme. No published evidence showed the same aspects identified here. Conclusions: Our survey showed a unique profile of the Radiotherapy Dosimetrist workforce in the UK, with a variety of training routes and statutory registration status. Nearly, a third were not engaged in a CPD scheme - adding to the current discussion that perhaps all Dosimetrists should be statutorily registered, for ensuring safe and effective clinical practice
CitationBlackler N, Bradley KE, Kelly C, Murphy S, Cross C, Kirby M. A national survey of the radiotherapy dosimetrist workforce in the UK. The British journal of radiology. 2022 Sep 26:20220459. PubMed PMID: 36063424. Epub 2022/09/06. eng.
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- The radiation oncology workforce: a focus on medical dosimetry.
- Authors: Robinson GF, Mobile K, Yu Y
- Issue date: 2014 Summer
- An assessment of the current US radiation oncology workforce: methodology and global results of the American Society for Radiation Oncology 2012 Workforce Study.
- Authors: Vichare A, Washington R, Patton C, Arnone A, Olsen C, Fung CY, Hopkins S, Pohar S
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 1
- Audit of the job satisfaction levels of the UK radiography and physics workforce in UK radiotherapy centres 2012.
- Authors: Hutton D, Beardmore C, Patel I, Massey J, Wong H, Probst H
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Building a sustainable rural physician workforce.
- Authors: Ostini R, McGrail MR, Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Hill P, O'Sullivan B, Selvey LA, Eley DS, Adegbija O, Boyle FM, Dettrick Z, Jennaway M, Strasser S
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in palliative medicine: a survey.
- Authors: Lloyd-Williams M, Kite S, Hicks F, Todd J, Ward J, Barnett M
- Issue date: 2006 Mar