Peripheral neuropathy: A neglected cause of disability in COPD - A narrative review
Mathioudakis, A. G.
Jensen, J. S.
Davidescu, E. I.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Colentina Clinical Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory syndrome with systemic involvement leading to various cardiovascular, metabolic, and neurological comorbidities. It is well known that conditions associated with oxygen deprivation and metabolic disturbance are associated with polyneuropathy, but current data regarding the relationship between COPD and peripheral nervous system pathology is limited. This review summarizes the available data on the association between COPD and polyneuropathy, including possible pathophysiological mechanisms such as the role of hypoxia, proinflammatory state, and smoking in nerve damage; the role of cardiovascular and metabolic comorbidities, as well as the diagnostic methods and screening tools for identifying polyneuropathy. Furthermore, it outlines the available options for managing and preventing polyneuropathy in COPD patients. Overall, current data suggest that optimal screening strategies to diagnose polyneuropathy early should be implemented in COPD patients due to their relatively common association and the additional burden of polyneuropathy on quality of life.
CitationOdajiu I, Covantsev S, Sivapalan P, Mathioudakis AG, Jensen JS, Davidescu EI, et al. Peripheral neuropathy: A neglected cause of disability in COPD - A narrative review. Respir Med. 2022 Sep;201:106952. PubMed PMID: 36029697. Epub 2022/08/28. eng.
- Association Between Severe Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Polyneuropathy.
- Authors: Arisoy A, Yilgor A, Uney İH
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 9
- The impact of COPD on polyneuropathy: results from the German COPD cohort COSYCONET.
- Authors: Kahnert K, Föhrenbach M, Lucke T, Alter P, Trudzinski FT, Bals R, Lutter JI, Timmermann H, Söhler S, Förderreuther S, Nowak D, Watz H, Waschki B, Behr J, Welte T, Vogelmeier CF, Jörres RA
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 20
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is not a risk factor for polyneuropathy: A prospective controlled study.
- Authors: Visser NA, Notermans NC, Teding van Berkhout F, van den Berg LH, Vrancken AF
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Subclinical peripheral neuropathy in stable middle-aged patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Authors: Agrawal D, Vohra R, Gupta PP, Sood S
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Subclinical peripheral neuropathy associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Authors: Ozge A, Atiş S, Sevim S
- Issue date: 2001 Apr-May