Activity of cabazitaxel in metastatic or inoperable locally advanced dedifferentiated liposarcoma: A phase 2 study of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group (STBSG)
Hayward, R. L.
Leahy, Michael G
Blay, J. Y.
Desar, I. M. E.
AffiliationMedical Oncology Unit 2, Medical Oncology Dpt, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori di Milano, Milan, Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImportance: Treatment options for patients with unresectable and/or metastatic dedifferentiated liposarcoma (DDLPS) are limited. New drugs are required. Objective: To assess whether cabazitaxel demonstrated sufficient antitumor activity in patients with metastatic or inoperable locally advanced DDLPS to justify further investigation in a phase 3 setting. Design, setting, and participants: This international multicenter, open-label single-arm phase 2 trial was conducted at 10 institutions in 4 European countries from March 2015 to March 2019. Eligible patients had to have metastatic or locally advanced histologically proven DDLPS with evidence of disease progression within the past 6 months and had to have received no more than 1 previous line of chemotherapy. Interventions: After mandatory central review of tumor blocks, if the DDLPS diagnosis was confirmed, patients started treatment within 72 hours after registration. Cabazitaxel was administered at a dose of 25 mg/m2 IV infusion over 1 hour every 21 days until intolerance, progression, or withdrawal of consent. Main outcomes and measures: The primary end point was progression-free survival (PFS) rate at 12 weeks per RECIST 1.1. Based on a Simon 2-stage design, at least 4 of 17 (stage 1) and 11 of 37 (stage 2) eligible and evaluable patients who were progression free at 12 weeks were needed. The final analysis report was completed on November 17, 2021. Results: Forty patients were registered, with 2 patients being ineligible. The number of cycles ranged from 1 to 30, with a median of 5; 26 patients (65%) received at least 4 cycles of cabazitaxel. Progression-free survival at 12 weeks was 55%, achieving the primary study end point. At a median follow-up of 21.6 months, median PFS was 6 months and median OS 21 months. Response rate (RR) was 8% with 1 clinical response (CR) and 2 partial responses (PR). Twenty-three (60.5%) patients had a stable disease (SD). Disease control (PR+SD) was achieved in 26 patients (68%). Conclusions and relevance: This nonrandomized phase 2 clinical trial met its primary end point, with 21 of 38 patients (55%) being progression free at 12 weeks. These results suggest important activity of cabazitaxel in patients with metastatic or inoperable locally advanced DDLPS. The drug is worth being further studied in these tumors in a phase 3 setting.
CitationSanfilippo R, Hayward RL, Musoro J, Benson C, Leahy MG, Brunello A, et al. Activity of Cabazitaxel in Metastatic or Inoperable Locally Advanced Dedifferentiated Liposarcoma: A Phase 2 Study of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group (STBSG). JAMA Oncol. 2022 Aug 18. PubMed PMID: 35980618. Epub 2022/08/19. eng.
- Pembrolizumab in advanced soft-tissue sarcoma and bone sarcoma (SARC028): a multicentre, two-cohort, single-arm, open-label, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Tawbi HA, Burgess M, Bolejack V, Van Tine BA, Schuetze SM, Hu J, D'Angelo S, Attia S, Riedel RF, Priebat DA, Movva S, Davis LE, Okuno SH, Reed DR, Crowley J, Butterfield LH, Salazar R, Rodriguez-Canales J, Lazar AJ, Wistuba II, Baker LH, Maki RG, Reinke D, Patel S
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- First-line chemotherapy in advanced intra-abdominal well-differentiated/dedifferentiated liposarcoma: An EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group retrospective analysis.
- Authors: Stacchiotti S, Van der Graaf WTA, Sanfilippo RG, Marreaud SI, Van Houdt WJ, Judson IR, Gronchi A, Gelderblom H, Litiere S, Kasper B
- Issue date: 2022 Aug 1
- First-Line Aldoxorubicin vs Doxorubicin in Metastatic or Locally Advanced Unresectable Soft-Tissue Sarcoma: A Phase 2b Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Chawla SP, Papai Z, Mukhametshina G, Sankhala K, Vasylyev L, Fedenko A, Khamly K, Ganjoo K, Nagarkar R, Wieland S, Levitt DJ
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Assessment of Doxorubicin and Pembrolizumab in Patients With Advanced Anthracycline-Naive Sarcoma: A Phase 1/2 Nonrandomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Pollack SM, Redman MW, Baker KK, Wagner MJ, Schroeder BA, Loggers ET, Trieselmann K, Copeland VC, Zhang S, Black G, McDonnell S, Gregory J, Johnson R, Moore R, Jones RL, Cranmer LD
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 1
- Assessment of Safety and Efficacy of Combined Trabectedin and Low-Dose Radiotherapy for Patients With Metastatic Soft-Tissue Sarcomas: A Nonrandomized Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Martin-Broto J, Hindi N, Lopez-Pousa A, Peinado-Serrano J, Alvarez R, Alvarez-Gonzalez A, Italiano A, Sargos P, Cruz-Jurado J, Isern-Verdum J, Dolado MC, Rincon-Pérez I, Sanchez-Bustos P, Gutierrez A, Romagosa C, Morosi C, Grignani G, Gatti M, Luna P, Alastuey I, Redondo A, Belinchon B, Martinez-Serra J, Sunyach MP, Coindre JM, Dei Tos AP, Romero J, Gronchi A, Blay JY, Moura DS
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1