Triplet therapy with androgen deprivation, docetaxel, and androgen receptor signalling inhibitors in metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer: A meta-analysis
AffiliationMedical Oncology Unit, Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli IRCCS, Largo Agostino Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The addition of either docetaxel or an androgen receptor signalling pathway inhibitor (ARSi) to androgen-deprivation therapy (ADT) has become the standard of care for metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer (mCSPC) patients. Recent phase III data support even greater survival impact of a triplet regimen with ADT plus docetaxel plus an ARSi (abiraterone or darolutamide) compared to ADT plus docetaxel. Objective: To evaluate whether the addition of an ARSi to ADT improves outcomes of mCSPC patients treated with docetaxel. Methods: We searched MEDLINE/PubMed, the Cochrane Library, and ASCO Meeting abstracts for randomised clinical trials (RCTs) testing the combination of ARSi + ADT in mCSPC men who received docetaxel. Data extraction was conducted according to the PRISMA statement. Summary hazard ratio (HR) was calculated using random- or fixed-effects models. The statistical analyses were performed with RevMan software (v.5.2.3). Results: Five RCTs were selected. Triplet therapy improved overall survival (OS) compared to ADT + docetaxel in mCSPC patients (HR = 0.73; p < 0.00001). This intensified strategy maintained the OS benefit when the ARSi was administered concomitant to chemotherapy (HR = 0.72; p < 0.00001), but no statistical effect was detected if the ARSi was sequential to docetaxel (p = 0.44). Moreover, in the subgroup of men with de novo mCSPC, triplets significantly improved OS (HR = 0.72, p < 0.0001). The lack of access to raw data was the main limit of our analysis. Conclusion: Our results support a clear survival advantage of adding an ARSi to ADT in mCSPC patients treated with docetaxel, mainly when the ARSi was administered concomitantly to chemotherapy and in the subgroup of de novo mCSPC.
CitationCiccarese C, Iacovelli R, Sternberg CN, Gillessen S, Tortora G, Fizazi K. Triplet therapy with androgen deprivation, docetaxel, and androgen receptor signalling inhibitors in metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer: A meta-analysis. European journal of cancer (Oxford, England : 1990). 2022 Aug 11;173:276-84. PubMed PMID: 35964470. Epub 2022/08/15. eng.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Androgen Receptor Signaling Inhibitors in Addition to Docetaxel with Androgen Deprivation Therapy for Metastatic Hormone-sensitive Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Yanagisawa T, Rajwa P, Thibault C, Gandaglia G, Mori K, Kawada T, Fukuokaya W, Shim SR, Mostafaei H, Motlagh RS, Quhal F, Laukhtina E, Pallauf M, Pradere B, Kimura T, Egawa S, Shariat SF
- Issue date: 2022 Dec
- Addition of androgen receptor-targeted agents to androgen-deprivation therapy and docetaxel in metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Maiorano BA, De Giorgi U, Roviello G, Messina C, Altavilla A, Cattrini C, Mennitto A, Maiello E, Di Maio M
- Issue date: 2022 Oct
- Addition of Docetaxel to Androgen Receptor Axis-targeted Therapy and Androgen Deprivation Therapy in Metastatic Hormone-sensitive Prostate Cancer: A Network Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Roy S, Sayyid R, Saad F, Sun Y, Lajkosz K, Ong M, Klaassen Z, Malone S, Spratt DE, Wallis CJD, Morgan SC
- Issue date: 2022 Oct
- Real-world survival outcomes of adding docetaxel or abiraterone in patients with high-volume metastatic castration-sensitive prostate cancer: historically controlled, propensity score matched comparison with androgen deprivation therapy.
- Authors: Narita S, Kimura T, Hatakeyama S, Hata K, Yanagisawa T, Maita S, Chiba S, Sato H, Kashima S, Koizumi A, Yamamoto R, Takayama K, Okane K, Ishida T, Horikawa Y, Kumazawa T, Shimoda J, Suzuki T, Ohyama C, Egawa S, Nomura K, Habuchi T
- Issue date: 2022 May
- Intensification of Systemic Therapy in Addition to Definitive Local Treatment in Nonmetastatic Unfavourable Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Rajwa P, Pradere B, Gandaglia G, van den Bergh RCN, Tsaur I, Shim SR, Yanagisawa T, Laukhtina E, Mori K, Mostafaei H, Quhal F, Bryniarski P, Compérat E, Roubaud G, Massard C, Merseburger AS, Leapman MS, Spratt DE, Saad F, Joniau S, D'Amico AV, Briganti A, Shariat SF, Ploussard G, European Association of Urology Young Academic Urologists Prostate Cancer Working Party
- Issue date: 2022 Jul