Treatment planning considerations for the development of FLASH proton therapy
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, The University of Manchester, Manchester,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith increasing focus on the translation of the observed FLASH effect into clinical practice, this paper presents treatment planning considerations for its development using proton therapy. Potential requirements to induce a FLASH effect are discussed along with the properties of existing proton therapy delivery systems and the changes in planning and delivery approaches required to satisfy these prerequisites. For the exploration of treatment planning approaches for FLASH, developments in treatment planning systems are needed. Flexibility in adapting to new information will be important in such an evolving area. Variations in definitions, threshold values and assumptions can make it difficult to compare different published studies and to interpret previous studies in the context of new information. Together with the fact that much is left to be understood about the underlying mechanism behind the FLASH effect, a systematic and comprehensive approach to information storage is encouraged. Collecting and retaining more detailed information on planned and realised dose delivery as well as reporting the assumptions made in planning studies creates the potential for research to be revisited and re-evaluated in the light of future improvements in understanding. Forward thinking at the time of study development can help facilitate retrospective analysis. This, we hope, will increase the available evidence and accelerate the translation of the FLASH effect into clinical benefit.
CitationRothwell B, Lowe M, Traneus E, Krieger M, Schuemann J. Treatment planning considerations for the development of FLASH proton therapy. Radiotherapy and oncology : journal of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology. 2022 Aug 10. PubMed PMID: 35963397. Epub 2022/08/14. eng.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Treatment planning for Flash radiotherapy: General aspects and applications to proton beams.
- Authors: Schwarz M, Traneus E, Safai S, Kolano A, van de Water S
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- A quantitative FLASH effectiveness model to reveal potentials and pitfalls of high dose rate proton therapy.
- Authors: Krieger M, van de Water S, Folkerts MM, Mazal A, Fabiano S, Bizzocchi N, Weber DC, Safai S, Lomax AJ
- Issue date: 2022 Mar
- Bringing FLASH to the Clinic: Treatment Planning Considerations for Ultrahigh Dose-Rate Proton Beams.
- Authors: van Marlen P, Dahele M, Folkerts M, Abel E, Slotman BJ, Verbakel WFAR
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 1
- Technical challenges for FLASH proton therapy.
- Authors: Jolly S, Owen H, Schippers M, Welsch C
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- A Universal Range Shifter and Range Compensator Can Enable Proton Pencil Beam Scanning Single-Energy Bragg Peak FLASH-RT Treatment Using Current Commercially Available Proton Systems.
- Authors: Kang M, Wei S, Choi JI, Lin H, Simone CB 2nd
- Issue date: 2022 May 1