Interplay of developmental hippo-notch signaling pathways with the DNA damage response in prostate cancer
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
AffiliationMolecular Carcinogenesis Group, Department of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, National Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), 11527 Athens, Greece
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstate cancer belongs in the class of hormone-dependent cancers, representing a major cause of cancer incidence in men worldwide. Since upon disease onset almost all prostate cancers are androgen-dependent and require active androgen receptor (AR) signaling for their survival, the primary treatment approach has for decades relied on inhibition of the AR pathway via androgen deprivation therapy (ADT). However, following this line of treatment, cancer cell pools often become resistant to therapy, contributing to disease progression towards the significantly more aggressive castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) form, characterized by poor prognosis. It is, therefore, of critical importance to elucidate the molecular mechanisms and signaling pathways underlying the progression of early-stage prostate cancer towards CRPC. In this review, we aim to shed light on the role of major signaling pathways including the DNA damage response (DDR) and the developmental Hippo and Notch pathways in prostate tumorigenesis. We recapitulate key evidence demonstrating the crosstalk of those pathways as well as with pivotal prostate cancer-related 'hubs' such as AR signaling, and evaluate the clinical impact of those interactions. Moreover, we attempt to identify molecules of the complex DDR-Hippo-Notch interplay comprising potentially novel therapeutic targets in the battle against prostate tumorigenesis.
CitationMourkioti I, Angelopoulou A, Belogiannis K, Lagopati N, Potamianos S, Kyrodimos E, et al. Interplay of Developmental Hippo-Notch Signaling Pathways with the DNA Damage Response in Prostate Cancer. Cells. 2022 Aug 7;11(15). PubMed PMID: 35954292. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC9367915. Epub 2022/08/13. eng.
- Androgen receptor-dependent and -independent mechanisms driving prostate cancer progression: Opportunities for therapeutic targeting from multiple angles.
- Authors: Hoang DT, Iczkowski KA, Kilari D, See W, Nevalainen MT
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 10
- Androgen receptors in hormone-dependent and castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Shafi AA, Yen AE, Weigel NL
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Targeting the androgen receptor signaling pathway in advanced prostate cancer.
- Authors: Chung C, Abboud K
- Issue date: 2022 Jul 22
- MicroRNA Regulation of Androgen Receptor in Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer: Premises, Promises, and Potentials.
- Authors: Ebrahimi S, Hashemy SI, Sahebkar A, Aghaee Bakhtiari SH
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 25
- Adaptive responses of androgen receptor signaling in castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Perner S, Cronauer MV, Schrader AJ, Klocker H, Culig Z, Baniahmad A
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 3