Clonal diversification and histogenesis of malignant germ cell tumours
AuthorsOliver, T. R. W.
Dentro, S. C.
Young, M. D.
Coorens, T. H. H.
Neville, M. D. C.
Sanders, M. A.
Mitchell, T. J.
Warren, A. Y.
Wedge, David C
Murray, M. J.
Campbell, P. J.
AffiliationWellcome Sanger Institute, Hinxton, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGerm cell tumours (GCTs) are a collection of benign and malignant neoplasms derived from primordial germ cells. They are uniquely able to recapitulate embryonic and extraembryonic tissues, which carries prognostic and therapeutic significance. The developmental pathways underpinning GCT initiation and histogenesis are incompletely understood. Here, we study the relationship of histogenesis and clonal diversification in GCTs by analysing the genomes and transcriptomes of 547 microdissected histological units. We find no correlation between genomic and histological heterogeneity. However, we identify unifying features including the retention of fetal developmental transcripts across tissues, expression changes on chromosome 12p, and a conserved somatic evolutionary sequence of whole genome duplication followed by clonal diversification. While this pattern is preserved across all GCTs, the developmental timing of the duplication varies between prepubertal and postpubertal cases. In addition, tumours of younger children exhibit distinct substitution signatures which may lend themselves as potential biomarkers for risk stratification. Our findings portray the extensive diversification of GCT tissues and genetic subclones as randomly distributed, while identifying overarching transcriptional and genomic features.
CitationOliver TRW, Chappell L, Sanghvi R, Deighton L, Ansari-Pour N, Dentro SC, et al. Clonal diversification and histogenesis of malignant germ cell tumours. Nature communications. 2022 Aug 11;13(1):4272. PubMed PMID: 35953478. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC9372159. Epub 2022/08/12. eng.
- Genomic evolution and chemoresistance in germ-cell tumours.
- Authors: Taylor-Weiner A, Zack T, O'Donnell E, Guerriero JL, Bernard B, Reddy A, Han GC, AlDubayan S, Amin-Mansour A, Schumacher SE, Litchfield K, Turnbull C, Gabriel S, Beroukhim R, Getz G, Carter SL, Hirsch MS, Letai A, Sweeney C, Van Allen EM
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 30
- Biology of childhood germ cell tumours, focussing on the significance of microRNAs.
- Authors: Murray MJ, Nicholson JC, Coleman N
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Perspectives on testicular germ cell neoplasms.
- Authors: Cheng L, Lyu B, Roth LM
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Molecular genetic evidence supporting diverse histogenic origins of germ cell tumors.
- Authors: Jung SH, Park HC, Choi YJ, Song SY, Chung YJ, Lee SH
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Genetic analysis of mediastinal nonseminomatous germ cell tumors in children and adolescents.
- Authors: Schneider DT, Schuster AE, Fritsch MK, Calaminus G, Göbel U, Harms D, Lauer S, Olson T, Perlman EJ
- Issue date: 2002 May