cfDNA methylome profiling for detection and subtyping of small cell lung cancers
Pearce, Simon P
Hill, Steven M
Richardson, Sophie A
White, Daniel J
Simpson, Kathryn L
Frese, Kristopher K
Massion, P. P.
Poirier, John T
Blackhall, Fiona H
Rothwell, Dominic G
Rudin, C. M.
AffiliationNucleic Acid Biomarker Team, Cancer Biomarker Centre, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Alderley Edge, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) is characterized by morphologic, epigenetic and transcriptomic heterogeneity. Subtypes based upon predominant transcription factor expression have been defined that, in mouse models and cell lines, exhibit potential differential therapeutic vulnerabilities, with epigenetically distinct SCLC subtypes also described. The clinical relevance of these subtypes is unclear, due in part to challenges in obtaining tumor biopsies for reliable profiling. Here we describe a robust workflow for genome-wide DNA methylation profiling applied to both patient-derived models and to patients' circulating cell-free DNA (cfDNA). Tumor-specific methylation patterns were readily detected in cfDNA samples from patients with SCLC and were correlated with survival outcomes. cfDNA methylation also discriminated between the transcription factor SCLC subtypes, a precedent for a liquid biopsy cfDNA-methylation approach to molecularly subtype SCLC. Our data reveal the potential clinical utility of cfDNA methylation profiling as a universally applicable liquid biopsy approach for the sensitive detection, monitoring and molecular subtyping of patients with SCLC.
CitationChemi F, Pearce SP, Clipson A, Hill SM, Conway AM, Richardson SA, et al. cfDNA methylome profiling for detection and subtyping of small cell lung cancers. Nat Cancer. 2022 Aug 8. PubMed PMID: 35941262. Epub 2022/08/09. eng.
- High-throughput and affordable genome-wide methylation profiling of circulating cell-free DNA by methylated DNA sequencing (MeD-seq) of LpnPI digested fragments.
- Authors: Deger T, Boers RG, de Weerd V, Angus L, van der Put MMJ, Boers JB, Azmani Z, van IJcken WFJ, Grünhagen DJ, van Dessel LF, Lolkema MPJK, Verhoef C, Sleijfer S, Martens JWM, Gribnau J, Wilting SM
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 20
- Profiling of Circulating Free DNA Using Targeted and Genome-wide Sequencing in Patients with SCLC.
- Authors: Mohan S, Foy V, Ayub M, Leong HS, Schofield P, Sahoo S, Descamps T, Kilerci B, Smith NK, Carter M, Priest L, Zhou C, Carr TH, Miller C, Faivre-Finn C, Blackhall F, Rothwell DG, Dive C, Brady G
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Epigenome-wide DNA methylation analysis of small cell lung cancer cell lines suggests potential chemotherapy targets.
- Authors: Krushkal J, Silvers T, Reinhold WC, Sonkin D, Vural S, Connelly J, Varma S, Meltzer PS, Kunkel M, Rapisarda A, Evans D, Pommier Y, Teicher BA
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 25
- A method for early diagnosis of lung cancer from tumor originated DNA fragments using plasma cfDNA methylome and fragmentome profiles.
- Authors: Kim YJ, Jeon H, Jeon S, Lee SH, Kim C, Ahn JH, Um H, Woo YJ, Jeong SH, Kim Y, Park HY, Oh HJ, Cho HJ, Bae JH, Kim JH, An S, Kang SB, Jho S, Biro O, Kis D, Kim BC, Kim Y, Kim JH, Kim BC, Bhak J, Oh IJ
- Issue date: 2022 Dec
- Methylome profiling identifies TCHH methylation in CfDNA as a noninvasive marker of liver metastasis in colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Chen S, Liu T, Bu D, Zhu J, Wang X, Pan Y, Liu Y, Lu ZJ, Wang P
- Issue date: 2021 Jul