Catheter-related thrombosis (CRT) in patients with solid tumors: a narrative review and clinical guidance for daily care
AuthorsLaguna, J. C.
Cooksley, Timothy J
Oo, T. H.
AffiliationMedical Oncology Department, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCentral venous access devices (CVADs) including central venous catheters and peripherally inserted central catheters (PICCs) are essential in the treatment of cancer. Catheter-related thrombosis (CRT) is the most frequent non-infectious complication associated with the use of central lines. The development of CRT may cause to delays in oncologic treatment and increase morbidity leading to potentially life-threatening complications. Several local and systemic risk factors are associated with the development of CRT and should be taken into account to prevent CRT by standardizing appropriate catheter placement and maintenance. The use of primary pharmacological thromboprophylaxis in order to avoid CRT is not routinely recommended, although it can be considered in selected cases. Recommendations for the management of established CRT are based on the extrapolation of anticoagulation for lower limb venous thrombosis. The present review summarizes the current evidence and recommendations for the prevention and management of CRT and identifies areas that require further research.
CitationLaguna JC, Cooksley T, Ahn S, Tsoukalas N, Oo TH, Brito-Dellan N, et al. Catheter-related thrombosis (CRT) in patients with solid tumors: a narrative review and clinical guidance for daily care. Supportive care in cancer : official journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. 2022 Aug 6. PubMed PMID: 35932317. Epub 2022/08/07. eng.
JournalSupportive Care in Cancer
- Incidence of catheter-related thrombosis in acute leukemia patients: a comparative, retrospective study of the safety of peripherally inserted vs. centrally inserted central venous catheters.
- Authors: Refaei M, Fernandes B, Brandwein J, Goodyear MD, Pokhrel A, Wu C
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Patterns of use and outcomes of peripherally inserted central catheters in hospitalized patients with solid tumors: A multicenter study.
- Authors: Mitbander UB, Geer MJ, Taxbro K, Horowitz JK, Zhang Q, O'Malley ME, Ramnath N, Chopra V
- Issue date: 2022 Oct
- Etiology and Management of Upper-Extremity Catheter-Related Thrombosis in Cancer Patients.
- Authors: Rajasekhar A, Streiff MB
- Issue date: 2019
- Comparative thrombosis risk of vascular access devices among critically ill medical patients.
- Authors: White D, Woller SC, Stevens SM, Collingridge DS, Chopra V, Fontaine GV
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Catheter-related thrombosis in cancer patients.
- Authors: Murray J, Precious E, Alikhan R
- Issue date: 2013 Sep