AffiliationDepartment of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMelanoma is a potentially fatal cancer with rising incidence over the last 50 years, associated with enhanced sun exposure and ultraviolet radiation. Its incidence is highest in people of European descent and the ageing population. There are multiple clinical and epidemiological variables affecting melanoma incidence and mortality, such as sex, ethnicity, UV exposure, anatomic site, and age. Although survival has improved in recent years due to advances in targeted and immunotherapies, new understanding of melanoma biology and disease progression is vital to improving clinical outcomes. Efforts to develop three-dimensional human skin equivalent models using biofabrication techniques, such as bioprinting, promise to deliver a better understanding of the complexity of melanoma and associated risk factors. These 3D skin models can be used as a platform for patient specific models and testing therapeutics.
CitationFernandes S, Vyas C, Lim P, Pereira RF, Virós A, Bártolo P. 3D Bioprinting: An Enabling Technology to Understand Melanoma. Cancers (Basel). 2022 Jul 20;14(14). PubMed PMID: 35884596. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC9318274. Epub 2022/07/28. eng.
- [Biofabrication: new approaches for tissue regeneration].
- Authors: Horch RE, Weigand A, Wajant H, Groll J, Boccaccini AR, Arkudas A
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- 3D bioprinting: improving in vitro models of metastasis with heterogeneous tumor microenvironments.
- Authors: Albritton JL, Miller JS
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 1
- Progress in 3D bioprinting technology for tissue/organ regenerative engineering.
- Authors: Matai I, Kaur G, Seyedsalehi A, McClinton A, Laurencin CT
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Advancing bioinks for 3D bioprinting using reactive fillers: A review.
- Authors: Heid S, Boccaccini AR
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1
- 3D Bioprinting in Skin Related Research: Recent Achievements and Application Perspectives.
- Authors: Olejnik A, Semba JA, Kulpa A, Dańczak-Pazdrowska A, Rybka JD, Gornowicz-Porowska J
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 21