Health-related quality of life analysis from KEYNOTE-426: pembrolizumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal cell carcinoma
Rini, B. I.
Plimack, E. R.
Waddell, Thomas K
Azevedo, S. J.
McDermott, R. S.
Nguyen, A. M.
Perini, R. F.
Rhoda Molife, L.
Atkins, M. B.
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, Tübingen, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: In the phase 3 KEYNOTE-426 (NCT02853331) trial, pembrolizumab + axitinib demonstrated improvement in overall survival, progression-free survival, and objective response rate over sunitinib monotherapy for advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC). Objective: To evaluate health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in KEYNOTE-426. Design, setting, and participants: A total of 861 patients were randomly assigned to receive pembrolizumab + axitinib (n = 432) or sunitinib (n = 429). HRQoL data were available for 429 patients treated with pembrolizumab + axitinib and 423 patients treated with sunitinib. Outcome measurements and statistical analysis: HRQoL end points were measured using the European Organisation for the Research and Treatment of Cancer Core (EORTC) Quality of Life Questionnaire (QLQ-C30), EQ-5D visual analog rating scale (VAS), and Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy Kidney Cancer Symptom Index-Disease-Related Symptoms (FKSI-DRS) questionnaires. Results and limitations: Better or not different overall improvement rates from baseline between pembrolizumab + axitinib and sunitinib were observed for the FKSI-DRS (-0.79% improvement vs sunitinib; 95% confidence interval [CI] -7.2 to 5.6), QLQ-C30 (7.5% improvement vs sunitinib; 95% CI 1.0-14), and EQ-5D VAS (9.9% improvement vs sunitinib; 95% CI 3.2-17). For time to confirmed deterioration (TTcD) and time to first deterioration (TTfD), no differences were observed between arms for the QLQ-C30 (TTcD hazard ratio [HR] 1.0; 95% CI 0.82-1.3; TTfD HR 0.82; 95% CI 0.69-0.97) and EQ-5D VAS (TTcD HR 1.1; 95% CI 0.87-1.3; TTfD HR 0.98; 95% CI 0.83-1.2). TTfD was not different between treatment arms (HR 1.1; 95% CI 0.95-1.3) for the FKSI-DRS, but TTcD favored sunitinib (HR 1.4; 95% CI 1.1-1.7). Patients were assessed during the off-treatment period for sunitinib, which may have underestimated the negative impact of sunitinib on HRQoL. Conclusions: Overall, patient-reported outcome scales showed that results between the pembrolizumab + axitinib and sunitinib arms were not different, with the exception of TTcD by the FKSI-DRS.
CitationBedke J, Rini BI, Plimack ER, Stus V, Gafanov R, Waddell T, et al. Health-related Quality of Life Analysis from KEYNOTE-426: Pembrolizumab plus Axitinib Versus Sunitinib for Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma. Eur Urol. 2022 Jul 14. PubMed PMID: 35843776. Epub 2022/07/18. eng.
- Health-related quality-of-life outcomes in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma treated with lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab or everolimus versus sunitinib (CLEAR): a randomised, phase 3 study.
- Authors: Motzer R, Porta C, Alekseev B, Rha SY, Choueiri TK, Mendez-Vidal MJ, Hong SH, Kapoor A, Goh JC, Eto M, Bennett L, Wang J, Pan JJ, Saretsky TL, Perini RF, He CS, Mody K, Cella D
- Issue date: 2022 Jun
- Pembrolizumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib monotherapy as first-line treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (KEYNOTE-426): extended follow-up from a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Powles T, Plimack ER, Soulières D, Waddell T, Stus V, Gafanov R, Nosov D, Pouliot F, Melichar B, Vynnychenko I, Azevedo SJ, Borchiellini D, McDermott RS, Bedke J, Tamada S, Yin L, Chen M, Molife LR, Atkins MB, Rini BI
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Pembrolizumab plus Axitinib versus Sunitinib for Advanced Renal-Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Rini BI, Plimack ER, Stus V, Gafanov R, Hawkins R, Nosov D, Pouliot F, Alekseev B, Soulières D, Melichar B, Vynnychenko I, Kryzhanivska A, Bondarenko I, Azevedo SJ, Borchiellini D, Szczylik C, Markus M, McDermott RS, Bedke J, Tartas S, Chang YH, Tamada S, Shou Q, Perini RF, Chen M, Atkins MB, Powles T, KEYNOTE-426 Investigators.
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 21
- Health-related quality of life in patients with microsatellite instability-high or mismatch repair deficient metastatic colorectal cancer treated with first-line pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy (KEYNOTE-177): an open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Andre T, Amonkar M, Norquist JM, Shiu KK, Kim TW, Jensen BV, Jensen LH, Punt CJA, Smith D, Garcia-Carbonero R, Sevilla I, De La Fouchardiere C, Rivera F, Elez E, Diaz LA Jr, Yoshino T, Van Cutsem E, Yang P, Farooqui M, Le DT
- Issue date: 2021 May
- Patient-reported outcomes of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma treated with nivolumab plus ipilimumab versus sunitinib (CheckMate 214): a randomised, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Cella D, Grünwald V, Escudier B, Hammers HJ, George S, Nathan P, Grimm MO, Rini BI, Doan J, Ivanescu C, Paty J, Mekan S, Motzer RJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb