Overall survival with brentuximab vedotin in stage III or IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma
AuthorsAnsell, S. M.
Radford, John A
Connors, J. M.
Kim, W. S.
Friedberg, J. W.
Evens, A. M.
Savage, K. J.
Bartlett, N. L.
Eom, H. S.
Abramson, J. S.
Straus, D. J.
AffiliationDivision of Hematology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Five-year follow-up in a trial involving patients with previously untreated stage III or IV classic Hodgkin's lymphoma showed long-term progression-free survival benefits with first-line therapy with brentuximab vedotin, a CD30-directed antibody-drug conjugate, plus doxorubicin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine (A+AVD), as compared with doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine (ABVD). A planned interim analysis indicated a potential benefit with regard to overall survival; data from a median of 6 years of follow-up are now available. Methods: We randomly assigned patients in a 1:1 ratio to receive up to six cycles of A+AVD or ABVD. The primary end point, modified progression-free survival, has been reported previously. The key secondary end point was overall survival in the intention-to-treat population. Safety was also assessed. Results: A total of 664 patients were assigned to receive A+AVD and 670 to receive ABVD. At a median follow-up of 73.0 months, 39 patients in the A+AVD group and 64 in the ABVD group had died (hazard ratio, 0.59; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.40 to 0.88; P = 0.009). The 6-year overall survival estimates were 93.9% (95% CI, 91.6 to 95.5) in the A+AVD group and 89.4% (95% CI, 86.6 to 91.7) in the ABVD group. Progression-free survival was longer with A+AVD than with ABVD (hazard ratio for disease progression or death, 0.68; 95% CI, 0.53 to 0.86). Fewer patients in the A+AVD group than in the ABVD group received subsequent therapy, including transplantation, and fewer second cancers were reported with A+AVD (in 23 vs. 32 patients). Primary prophylaxis with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor was recommended after an increased incidence of febrile neutropenia was observed with A+AVD. More patients had peripheral neuropathy with A+AVD than with ABVD, but most patients in the two groups had resolution or amelioration of the event by the last follow-up. Conclusions: Patients who received A+AVD for the treatment of stage III or IV Hodgkin's lymphoma had a survival advantage over those who received ABVD.
CitationAnsell SM, Radford J, Connors JM, Długosz-Danecka M, Kim WS, Gallamini A, et al. Overall Survival with Brentuximab Vedotin in Stage III or IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The New England journal of medicine. 2022 Jul 13. PubMed PMID: 35830649. Epub 2022/07/14. eng.
JournalNew England Journal of Medicine
- Brentuximab Vedotin with Chemotherapy for Stage III or IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
- Authors: Connors JM, Jurczak W, Straus DJ, Ansell SM, Kim WS, Gallamini A, Younes A, Alekseev S, Illés Á, Picardi M, Lech-Maranda E, Oki Y, Feldman T, Smolewski P, Savage KJ, Bartlett NL, Walewski J, Chen R, Ramchandren R, Zinzani PL, Cunningham D, Rosta A, Josephson NC, Song E, Sachs J, Liu R, Jolin HA, Huebner D, Radford J, ECHELON-1 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 25
- Brentuximab vedotin with chemotherapy for stage III or IV classical Hodgkin lymphoma (ECHELON-1): 5-year update of an international, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Straus DJ, Długosz-Danecka M, Connors JM, Alekseev S, Illés Á, Picardi M, Lech-Maranda E, Feldman T, Smolewski P, Savage KJ, Bartlett NL, Walewski J, Ramchandren R, Zinzani PL, Hutchings M, Munoz J, Lee HJ, Kim WS, Advani R, Ansell SM, Younes A, Gallamini A, Liu R, Little M, Fenton K, Fanale M, Radford J
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Brentuximab vedotin combined with ABVD or AVD for patients with newly diagnosed Hodgkin's lymphoma: a phase 1, open-label, dose-escalation study.
- Authors: Younes A, Connors JM, Park SI, Fanale M, O'Meara MM, Hunder NN, Huebner D, Ansell SM
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Brentuximab vedotin with chemotherapy for stage III/IV classical Hodgkin lymphoma: 3-year update of the ECHELON-1 study.
- Authors: Straus DJ, Długosz-Danecka M, Alekseev S, Illés Á, Picardi M, Lech-Maranda E, Feldman T, Smolewski P, Savage KJ, Bartlett NL, Walewski J, Ramchandren R, Zinzani PL, Hutchings M, Connors JM, Radford J, Munoz J, Kim WS, Advani R, Ansell SM, Younes A, Miao H, Liu R, Fenton K, Forero-Torres A, Gallamini A
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 5
- Brentuximab Vedotin plus Chemotherapy in North American Subjects with Newly Diagnosed Stage III or IV Hodgkin Lymphoma.
- Authors: Ramchandren R, Advani RH, Ansell SM, Bartlett NL, Chen R, Connors JM, Feldman T, Forero-Torres A, Friedberg JW, Gopal AK, Gordon LI, Kuruvilla J, Savage KJ, Younes A, Engley G, Manley TJ, Fenton K, Straus DJ
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 15