IFN-I signaling in cancer: the connection with dysregulated Insulin/IGF axis
AffiliationEndocrinology Unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Catania, Garibaldi-Nesima Hospital, 95122 Catania, Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractType I interferons (IFN-Is) are prototypical inflammatory cytokines produced in response to stress. IFN-Is have a critical role in antitumor immunity by driving the activation of leukocytes and favoring the elimination of malignant cells. However, IFN-I signaling in cancer, specifically in the tumor microenvironment (TME), can have opposing roles. Sustained IFN-I stimulation can promote immune exhaustion or enable tumor cell-intrinsic malignant features. Herein, we discuss the potential impact of the insulin/insulin-like growth factor system (I/IGFs) and of metabolic disorders in aberrant IFN-I signaling in cancer. We consider the possibility that targeting I/IGFs, especially in patients with cancer affected by metabolic disorders, contributes to an effective strategy to inhibit deleterious IFN-I signaling, thereby restoring sensitivity to various cancer therapies, including immunotherapy.
CitationVella V, De Francesco EM, Bonavita E, Lappano R, Belfiore A. IFN-I signaling in cancer: the connection with dysregulated Insulin/IGF axis. Vol. 33, Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism. Elsevier BV; 2022. p. 569–86.
JournalTrends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Paracrine recruitment and activation of fibroblasts by c-Myc expressing breast epithelial cells through the IGFs/IGF-1R axis.
- Authors: De Vincenzo A, Belli S, Franco P, Telesca M, Iaccarino I, Botti G, Carriero MV, Ranson M, Stoppelli MP
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 15
- Insulin-like growth factors inhibit dendritic cell-mediated anti-tumor immunity through regulating ERK1/2 phosphorylation and p38 dephosphorylation.
- Authors: Huang CT, Chang MC, Chen YL, Chen TC, Chen CA, Cheng WF
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 1
- A candidate targeting molecule of insulin-like growth factor-I receptor for gastrointestinal cancers.
- Authors: Adachi Y, Yamamoto H, Ohashi H, Endo T, Carbone DP, Imai K, Shinomura Y
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 14
- Insulin-like growth factor receptor signaling in tumorigenesis and drug resistance: a challenge for cancer therapy.
- Authors: Hua H, Kong Q, Yin J, Zhang J, Jiang Y
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 3
- Tumor suppressors govern insulin-like growth factor signaling pathways: implications in metabolism and cancer.
- Authors: Werner H
- Issue date: 2012 May 31