Comparative effectiveness of ZUMA-5 (axi-cel) vs SCHOLAR-5 external control in relapsed/refractory follicular lymphoma
Palomba, M. L.
Jacobson, C. A.
Hatswell, A. J.
Jung, A. S.
Snider, J. T.
Neelapu, S. S.
Ribeiro, M. T.
Brookhart, M. A.
Radford, John A
Gribben, J. G.
AffiliationMemorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, United States
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the pivotal ZUMA-5 trial, axicabtagene ciloleucel (axi-cel; an autologous anti-CD19 chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy) demonstrated high rates of durable response in relapsed/refractory (r/r) follicular lymphoma (FL) patients. Here, clinical outcomes from ZUMA-5 are compared to the international SCHOLAR-5 external control cohort, which applied ZUMA-5 trial eligibility criteria to emulate RCT conditions. SCHOLAR-5 data were extracted from institutions in five countries for r/r FL patients who initiated a ≥3rd line of therapy after July 2014. Patient characteristics were balanced through propensity scoring on pre-specified prognostic factors using standardized mortality ratio (SMR) weighting. Time-to-event outcomes were evaluated using Kaplan-Meier analysis. Overall response rate (ORR) and complete response (CR) rate were compared using odds ratios. The 143 patients identified in SCHOLAR-5 reduced to an effective sample of 85 patients after SMR weighting, versus 86 patients in ZUMA-5. Median follow-up time was 25.4 and 23.3 months for SCHOLAR-5 and ZUMA-5. The median overall survival (OS) and progression-free survival (PFS) in SCHOLAR-5 were 59.8 months and 12.7 months, and were not reached in ZUMA-5. The hazard ratios for OS and PFS were 0.42 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.21-0.83) and 0.30 (95%CI: 0.18-0.49). The ORR and CR rate were 49.9% and 29.9% in SCHOLAR-5 compared to 94.2% and 79.1% in ZUMA-5, for odds ratios of 16.2 (95%CI: 5.6-46.9) and 8.9 (95%CI: 4.3-18.3). Compared to available therapies, axi-cel demonstrated an improvement in meaningful clinical endpoints. This study suggests axi-cel may address an important unmet need for r/r FL patients.
CitationGhione P, Palomba ML, Patel A, Bobillo S, Deighton K, Jacobson CA, et al. Comparative effectiveness of ZUMA-5 (axi-cel) vs SCHOLAR-5 external control in relapsed/refractory follicular lymphoma. Blood. American Society of Hematology; 2022.
- Real-World Evidence of Axicabtagene Ciloleucel for the Treatment of Large B Cell Lymphoma in the United States.
- Authors: Jacobson CA, Locke FL, Ma L, Asubonteng J, Hu ZH, Siddiqi T, Ahmed S, Ghobadi A, Miklos DB, Lin Y, Perales MA, Lunning MA, Herr MM, Hill BT, Ganguly S, Dong H, Nikiforow S, Hooper M, Kawashima J, Xu H, Pasquini MC
- Issue date: 2022 Sep
- Standard-of-Care Axicabtagene Ciloleucel for Relapsed or Refractory Large B-Cell Lymphoma: Results From the US Lymphoma CAR T Consortium.
- Authors: Nastoupil LJ, Jain MD, Feng L, Spiegel JY, Ghobadi A, Lin Y, Dahiya S, Lunning M, Lekakis L, Reagan P, Oluwole O, McGuirk J, Deol A, Sehgal AR, Goy A, Hill BT, Vu K, Andreadis C, Munoz J, Westin J, Chavez JC, Cashen A, Bennani NN, Rapoport AP, Vose JM, Miklos DB, Neelapu SS, Locke FL
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 20
- Long-term safety and activity of axicabtagene ciloleucel in refractory large B-cell lymphoma (ZUMA-1): a single-arm, multicentre, phase 1-2 trial.
- Authors: Locke FL, Ghobadi A, Jacobson CA, Miklos DB, Lekakis LJ, Oluwole OO, Lin Y, Braunschweig I, Hill BT, Timmerman JM, Deol A, Reagan PM, Stiff P, Flinn IW, Farooq U, Goy A, McSweeney PA, Munoz J, Siddiqi T, Chavez JC, Herrera AF, Bartlett NL, Wiezorek JS, Navale L, Xue A, Jiang Y, Bot A, Rossi JM, Kim JJ, Go WY, Neelapu SS
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Axicabtagene Ciloleucel in the Non-Trial Setting: Outcomes and Correlates of Response, Resistance, and Toxicity.
- Authors: Jacobson CA, Hunter BD, Redd R, Rodig SJ, Chen PH, Wright K, Lipschitz M, Ritz J, Kamihara Y, Armand P, Nikiforow S, Rogalski M, Maakaron J, Jaglowski S, Maus MV, Chen YB, Abramson JS, Kline J, Budde E, Herrera A, Mei M, Cohen JB, Smith SD, Maloney DG, Gopal AK, Frigault MJ, Acharya UH
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 20
- Patient-reported outcomes in ZUMA-7, a phase 3 study of axicabtagene ciloleucel in second-line large B-cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Elsawy M, Chavez JC, Avivi I, Larouche JF, Wannesson L, Cwynarski K, Osman K, Davison K, Rudzki JD, Dahiya S, Dorritie K, Jaglowski S, Radford J, Morschhauser F, Cunningham D, Martin Garcia-Sancho A, Tzachanis D, Ulrickson ML, Karmali R, Kekre N, Thieblemont C, Enblad G, Dreger P, Malladi R, Joshi N, Wang WJ, Solem CT, Snider JT, Cheng P, To C, Kersten MJ
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 24