Short and long-term effect of dexamethasone on the transcriptome profile of primary human trabecular meshwork cells in vitro
Simpson, D. A.
Willoughby, C. E.
AffiliationDepartment of Ocular Pharmacology, Aravind Medical Research Foundation, #1, Anna Nagar, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, 625020, India
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the quest of identifying newer molecular targets for the management of glucocorticoid-induced ocular hypertension (GC-OHT) and glaucoma (GCG), several microarray studies have attempted to investigate the genome-wide transcriptome profiling of primary human trabecular meshwork (TM) cells in response to dexamethasone (DEX). However, no studies are reported so far to demonstrate the temporal changes in the expression of genes in the cultured human TM cells in response to DEX treatment. Therefore, in the present study, the time-dependent changes in the genome-wide expression of genes in primary human TM cells after short (16 hours: 16 h) and long exposure (7 days: 7 d) of DEX was investigated using RNA sequencing. There were 199 (118 up-regulated; 81 down-regulated) and 525 (119 up-regulated; 406 down-regulated) DEGs in 16 h and 7 d treatment groups respectively. The unique genes identified in 16 h and 7 d treatment groups were 152 and 478 respectively. This study found a distinct gene signature and pathways between two treatment regimes. Longer exposure of DEX treatment showed a dys-regulation of Wnt and Rap1 signaling and so highlighted potential therapeutic targets for pharmacological management of GC-OHT/glauco
CitationKathirvel K, Karen L, Haribalaganesh R, Krishnadas R, Muthukkaruppan V, Lane B, et al. Short and long-term effect of dexamethasone on the transcriptome profile of primary human trabecular meshwork cells in vitro. Vol. 12, Scientific Reports. Springer Science and Business Media LLC; 2022.
- A Comparative Genome-Wide Transcriptome Analysis of Glucocorticoid Responder and Non-Responder Primary Human Trabecular Meshwork Cells.
- Authors: Kathirvel K, Haribalaganesh R, Krishnadas R, Muthukkaruppan V, Willoughby CE, Bharanidharan D, Senthilkumari S
- Issue date: 2022 May 15
- Effects of thailanstatins on glucocorticoid response in trabecular meshwork and steroid-induced glaucoma.
- Authors: Jain A, Liu X, Wordinger RJ, Yorio T, Cheng YQ, Clark AF
- Issue date: 2013 May 3
- A Comparison of Gene Expression Profiles between Glucocorticoid Responder and Non-Responder Bovine Trabecular Meshwork Cells Using RNA Sequencing.
- Authors: Bermudez JY, Webber HC, Brown B, Braun TA, Clark AF, Mao W
- Issue date: 2017
- Expression of 14-3-3 Zeta Protein in Dexamethasone-Treated Mice and Human TM-1 Cells.
- Authors: Liu Q, Ye Y, Lin X, Yang Y, Wu K, Yu M
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Dexamethasone induces cross-linked actin networks in trabecular meshwork cells through noncanonical wnt signaling.
- Authors: Yuan Y, Call MK, Yuan Y, Zhang Y, Fischesser K, Liu CY, Kao WW
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 3