Tissue-resident FOLR2(+) macrophages associate with CD8(+) T cell infiltration in human breast cancer
AuthorsRamos, R. N.
Bromley, Christian P
Nunez, N. G.
Boari, J. T.
Niborski, L. L.
Dutertre, C. A.
AffiliationPSL University, Institut Curie Research Center, INSERM U932 & SiRIC, Translational Immunotherapy Team, 75005 Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMacrophage infiltration is a hallmark of solid cancers, and overall macrophage infiltration correlates with lower patient survival and resistance to therapy. Tumor-associated macrophages, however, are phenotypically and functionally heterogeneous. Specific subsets of tumor-associated macrophage might be endowed with distinct roles on cancer progression and antitumor immunity. Here, we identify a discrete population of FOLR2+ tissue-resident macrophages in healthy mammary gland and breast cancer primary tumors. FOLR2+ macrophages localize in perivascular areas in the tumor stroma, where they interact with CD8+ T cells. FOLR2+ macrophages efficiently prime effector CD8+ T cells ex vivo. The density of FOLR2+ macrophages in tumors positively correlates with better patient survival. This study highlights specific roles for tumor-associated macrophage subsets and paves the way for subset-targeted therapeutic interventions in macrophages-based cancer therapies.
CitationNalio Ramos R, Missolo-Koussou Y, Gerber-Ferder Y, Bromley CP, Bugatti M, Núñez NG, et al. Tissue-resident FOLR2+ macrophages associate with CD8+ T cell infiltration in human breast cancer. Vol. 185, Cell. Elsevier BV; 2022. p. 1189-1207.e25.
- A Population of TIM4+FOLR2+ Macrophages Localized in Tertiary Lymphoid Structures Correlates to an Active Immune Infiltrate Across Several Cancer Types.
- Authors: Bugatti M, Bergamini M, Missale F, Monti M, Ardighieri L, Pezzali I, Picinoli S, Caronni N, Missolo-Koussou Y, Helft J, Benvenuti F, Vermi W
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 2
- FOLR2+ Macrophages Are Associated with T-cell Infiltration and Improved Prognosis.
- Issue date: 2022 Jun 2
- Regulation and characterization of tumor-infiltrating immune cells in breast cancer.
- Authors: Dai Q, Wu W, Amei A, Yan X, Lu L, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Folate Receptor β (FRβ) Expression in Tissue-Resident and Tumor-Associated Macrophages Associates with and Depends on the Expression of PU.1.
- Authors: Samaniego R, Domínguez-Soto Á, Ratnam M, Matsuyama T, Sánchez-Mateos P, Corbí ÁL, Puig-Kröger A
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 10
- Leukocyte complexity predicts breast cancer survival and functionally regulates response to chemotherapy.
- Authors: DeNardo DG, Brennan DJ, Rexhepaj E, Ruffell B, Shiao SL, Madden SF, Gallagher WM, Wadhwani N, Keil SD, Junaid SA, Rugo HS, Hwang ES, Jirström K, West BL, Coussens LM
- Issue date: 2011 Jun