Adjuvant skin-sparing electrochemotherapy in a breast cancer patient with a prosthetic implant: 5-year follow-up outcomes
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA 55-year-old woman with previous skin-sparing mastectomy and prosthetic reconstruction for multifocal ductal carcinoma developed homolateral axillary recurrence. Following nodal dissection, partial periprosthetic capsulectomy and the overlying breast skin excision, the pathology report revealed a positive cutaneous margin. Since further breast skin excision or radiotherapy would have compromised the prosthetic implant, and the patient was adamant about avoiding any endangering intervention, the multidisciplinary recommendation included skin-directed electrochemotherapy (ECT) in the frame of a multimodal treatment strategy. The procedure lasted 20 minutes under mild general sedation and included a bolus of intravenous bleomycin followed by local application of electric pulses using a needle electrode. The postprocedural course was uneventful, except for mild dermatologic toxicity. At 5 years, the patient is disease-free with the implant in situ. This report illustrates the proof-of-concept of adjuvant skin-sparing ECT to sterilize resection margins, preserve a breast implant and highlight procedural details to avert toxicity.
CitationCampana LG, Balestrieri N, Menin N. Adjuvant skin-sparing electrochemotherapy in a breast cancer patient with a prosthetic implant: 5-year follow-up outcomes. Vol. 2022, Journal of Surgical Case Reports. Oxford University Press (OUP); 2022.
JournalJournal of Surgical Case Reports
- Skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate reconstruction: oncologic risks and aesthetic results in patients with early-stage breast cancer.
- Authors: Slavin SA, Schnitt SJ, Duda RB, Houlihan MJ, Koufman CN, Morris DJ, Troyan SL, Goldwyn RM
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- Electrochemotherapy of cutaneous metastastes from breast cancer in elderly patients: a preliminary report.
- Authors: Benevento R, Santoriello A, Perna G, Canonico S
- Issue date: 2012
- Outcomes of older adults aged 90 and over with cutaneous malignancies after electrochemotherapy with bleomycin: A matched cohort analysis from the InspECT registry.
- Authors: Sersa G, Mascherini M, Di Prata C, Odili J, de Terlizzi F, McKenzie GAG, Clover AJP, Bertino G, Spina R, Groselj A, Cappellesso R, Gehl J, Bisase B, Curatolo P, Kis E, Lico V, Muir T, Orlando A, Quaglino P, Matteucci P, Valpione S, Campana LG
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy as treatment for patients with ductal carcinoma in situ: A 10-year follow-up study.
- Authors: Lago V, Maisto V, Gimenez-Climent J, Vila J, Vazquez C, Estevan R
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Staged breast reconstruction with saline-filled implants in the irradiated breast: recent trends and therapeutic implications.
- Authors: Spear SL, Onyewu C
- Issue date: 2000 Mar