Clinical relevance of biomarkers in cholangiocarcinoma: critical revision and future directions
AuthorsMacias, R. I. R.
Kendall, T. J.
Avila, M. A.
Frampton, A. E.
Pereira, S. P.
Kather, J. N.
Valle, Juan W
Banales, J. M.
AffiliationExperimental Hepatology and Drug Targeting (HEVEPHARM) group, University of Salamanca, IBSAL, Salamanca, Spain
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCholangiocarcinoma (CCA) is a malignant tumour arising from the biliary system. In Europe, this tumour frequently presents as a sporadic cancer in patients without defined risk factors and is usually diagnosed at advanced stages with a consequent poor prognosis. Therefore, the identification of biomarkers represents an utmost need for patients with CCA. Numerous studies proposed a wide spectrum of biomarkers at tissue and molecular levels. With the present paper, a multidisciplinary group of experts within the European Network for the Study of Cholangiocarcinoma discusses the clinical role of tissue biomarkers and provides a selection based on their current relevance and potential applications in the framework of CCA. Recent advances are proposed by dividing biomarkers based on their potential role in diagnosis, prognosis and therapy response. Limitations of current biomarkers are also identified, together with specific promising areas (ie, artificial intelligence, patient-derived organoids, targeted therapy) where research should be focused to develop future biomarkers.
CitationMacias RIR, Cardinale V, Kendall TJ, Avila MA, Guido M, Coulouarn C, et al. Clinical relevance of biomarkers in cholangiocarcinoma: critical revision and future directions. Gut. BMJ; 2022.
- Diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Macias RIR, Kornek M, Rodrigues PM, Paiva NA, Castro RE, Urban S, Pereira SP, Cadamuro M, Rupp C, Loosen SH, Luedde T, Banales JM
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Current Advances in Basic and Translational Research of Cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Sato K, Baiocchi L, Kennedy L, Zhang W, Ekser B, Glaser S, Francis H, Alpini G
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 1
- Current omics-based biomarkers for cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Intuyod K, Armartmuntree N, Jusakul A, Sakonsinsiri C, Thanan R, Pinlaor S
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Future directions in the treatment of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Zhu AX
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Elevated levels of circulating osteopontin are associated with a poor survival after resection of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Loosen SH, Roderburg C, Kauertz KL, Pombeiro I, Leyh C, Benz F, Vucur M, Longerich T, Koch A, Braunschweig T, Ulmer TF, Heidenhain C, Tacke F, Binnebösel M, Schmeding M, Trautwein C, Neumann UP, Luedde T
- Issue date: 2017 Oct