Ultrastructural alterations of megakaryocytes in thrombocytopenia: A review of 43 cases
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThrombocytopenia is a frequent occurrence in a variety of hematopoietic diseases; however, the details of the mechanism leading to low platelet count remain elusive. Megakaryocytes are a series of progenitor cells responsible for the production of platelets. Alterations in megakaryocytes in the bone marrow are a causative factor resulting in thrombocytopenia in varied diseases. Based on ultrastructural analysis of incidentally encountered megakaryocytes in 43 patients with blood diseases marked by low platelet counts, electron micrographs demonstrated that aberrant megakaryocytes predominated in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, aplastic anemia, and myelodysplastic syndrome; autophagy, apoptosis, and cellular damage in megakaryocytes were a prominent feature in aplastic anemia. On the other hand, poorly differentiated megakaryocytes predominated in acute megakaryoblastic leukemia (AMKL) although damaged megakaryocytes were seen in non-AMKL acute leukemia. This paper documents the ultrastructural alterations of megakaryocytes associated with thrombocytopenia and reveals distinctive features for particular blood diseases. A comment is made on future avenues of research emphasizing membrane fusion proteins.
CitationEyden B, Ru YX, Dong SX, Liu J, Liu XF. Ultrastructural alterations of megakaryocytes in thrombocytopenia: A review of 43 cases. Vol. 3, Blood Science. Ovid Technologies (Wolters Kluwer Health); 2021. p. 107–12.
- [Comparative study on bone marrow megakaryocytes in children with thrombocytopenic purpura, aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndrome].
- Authors: Hu T, Shi XD, Feng YL, Liu R, Li JH, Chen J, Wang TY
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Deficient in vitro megakaryocytopoiesis and decreased in vivo platelet turnover in children and young adults with chronic thrombocytopenia.
- Authors: Parker RI, Siegel RS, Ratajczak MZ, Gewirtz AM
- Issue date: 1998 May-Jun
- Physician Education: Myelodysplastic Syndrome.
- Authors: Yoshida Y
- Issue date: 1996
- Megakaryocyte apoptosis in immune thrombocytopenia.
- Authors: Vrbensky JR, Nazy I, Toltl LJ, Ross C, Ivetic N, Smith JW, Kelton JG, Arnold DM
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- The ultrastructure of the megakaryocytes in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) in relation to thrombokinetics.
- Authors: Ridell B, Branehög I
- Issue date: 1976